Self inflating mats reliable?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
The only punctures I've had in my old Thermarest have been when I've loaned it to friends to sleep indoors! By current standards it's a bit heavy (bought well before they switched to the lattice style of foam) but excellent quality. More recently, with an eye to a spot of extra comfort, I bought one of the 40th Anniversary Thermarests, deep, plush and an eye-watering shade of yellow.

Along the way I tried a lightweight mat from Decathlon, which I think was called an A100. Rather thin and definitely a few rungs below Thermarest on the quality ladder, nonetheless it was excellent value (about £17, I believe) and did a fine job under my tarp as I crossed Scotland on the TGO Challenge.

With most of the mats you can effect a quick repair using Tenacious Tape, less of a faff than the full kits.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I've had a thermorest and Vango. Both leak. Desperately needed a mat for a weekend, bought a really heavy one from aldi. It too leaks, but at 14st (was 16!) never had any problems on it even so. I find the pure air beds a bit cold. I'm thinking of going back to foam but last time I tried a night it felt a bit thin! :)

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I have several inflating mats but my 'go to' that I use all the time is a full length Multimat Summit from the Expedition range. Excellent bit of kit and good value, never had any issues with it. I've never felt any cold coming through and I use it on the ground, on a US Army cot and in my hammock. The bag is fleece lined and can be turned inside out to make a pillow when stuffed. It comes in a mild yellow or olive green. The valve system is excellent and can be slide locked when taking a breath. Inflates and deflates easily, compact when rolled, full protection when unrolled.

http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/multimat-expedition-summit-25-38-self-inflating-mat-2716 Only £43 here.

http://www.multimat.uk.com/store/products/summit-25-slash-38 £105 here!

I'd buy another in preference to a Thermorest, quality without paying for a name.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE