Self Inflating mat advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I've done searches and not come up with a lot....

I'm on the hunt for a decent self inflating mat for under £40. the reason for the tight budget is that I have to buy 2 of them- one for me and one for the missus.

I've looked at the Alpkit Wideboy and Dirtbag, but they are persistently out of stock due to supplier issues.

Any others I should look at? Bear in mind I want a comfortable night and decent length.

Thanks folks.

H

Last edited:

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
I originally bought 2 self inflating mats when I first started buying Kit (Think they were Vango DLX or something like that), however as I've progressed quickly found them to be both too big and too heavy to lug around in or on a rucksack. Have since replaced them with a more lightweight 3/4 mat which is a compromise but at least can pack up small enough to sensibly go in a rucksack thus being to use the straps underneath foer a lightweight tent

Have also tried the 4/5 season foam ones but never seem to get a good nights sleep on the ground, they do however seem usable in a hammock

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
I gave up on roll mats a while back...I weigh too much to get a decent kip on anything that thin...needs to be over 5cm for me.
So I tried this a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. It's a wee bit narrow and if you camp on a slope you may find that you start to creep off the mat in your bag. BUT...the space and weight save plus the price differential between this and the neoair/exped downmat makes it a serious contender IMO

[url]http://www.multimat.uk.com/product.asp?Ref=3&Label=Adventure&Nav=1&ProductRef=23

[/URL]

Cheers

Sack

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Slightly above budget at £45(ish), how about an exped airmat combined with a cheapy closed cell foam mat.

I've used one at the moot for the last couple of years - very comfortable.

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
Its the 3/4 length superlite compact 25" multimat Ive eventually ended up with. Not cheap at around 35 Pounds each

I gave up on roll mats a while back...I weigh too much to get a decent kip on anything that thin...needs to be over 5cm for me.
So I tried this a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. It's a wee bit narrow and if you camp on a slope you may find that you start to creep off the mat in your bag. BUT...the space and weight save plus the price differential between this and the neoair/exped downmat makes it a serious contender IMO

[url]http://www.multimat.uk.com/product.asp?Ref=3&Label=Adventure&Nav=1&ProductRef=23

[/URL]

Cheers

Sack

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
wow, thanks for the quick replies.....

I intend to use the mat (at the moment anyway) for family tent camps so 2/3 season???? We're just getting my little 'un into it, so I'm making everyone comfy, including myself....and the missus (who is the other mat recipient so to speak).

I hadn't really considered a 3/4 length mat, but it really does HAVE to be pretty thick to be comfy. I always hated closed cell mats too.

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
Another option may well be to get a traditional 4 leg camp bed, their fit your criteria of being very comfortable and their cheap at approx 17 Pounds each. Through personal experience if a woman is cold and uncomfortable its not the last you'll hear of it and a spoiled weekends camping..lol

wow, thanks for the quick replies.....

I intend to use the mat (at the moment anyway) for family tent camps so 2/3 season???? We're just getting my little 'un into it, so I'm making everyone comfy, including myself....and the missus (who is the other mat recipient so to speak).

I hadn't really considered a 3/4 length mat, but it really does HAVE to be pretty thick to be comfy. I always hated closed cell mats too.

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
If it's 'family camping', don't go messing around with 3/4 mats, no matter how thick. Just get the longest, widest, thickest mats you can.

Be careful with the widths on inflatable mats - the width or 'lack of' is much more noticeable on a thicker mat. I have a long wide airmat and a regular width synmat ultralite. Apart from being super slippy, the ultralight mat feels a lot narrower (and is less comfortable for it).

I have noticed some of the really cheap thick mats, such as go-outdoors hi-gear brand (self inflators and inflatables) really skimp on the width.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Haha.......too right.

This whole 'camping' malarkey is a bit new to me. I used to be happy under a tarp on a bit of foam!!!! I'm just getting old.

LOL. It happens to all of us. If it's family camping you might try one of these www.target.com/s/air+mattress+queen+size

Divide those prices by about 1.55 to get the price in pounds (if you don't have a converter) Even with postage they might (MIGHT) come close to your budget as you would only need one for both of you to share; especially if you have the rectanguler sleeping bags that open all the way and zip 2 together to form a double bag; that's the way my fiance and I camped for years (she wouldn't sleep on the ground)

With these you can eliminate sleeping bags entirely and make them up as a normal bed (if you have queen sized sheets which are a bit bigger than normal double beds)

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If your family camping are you using a good size tent and no backpacking?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3400676/Trail/searchtext%3EAIR+BED.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9010613/Trail/searchtext>AIR+BED.htm

I use the first when glamping with the wife and the second one when away with my lad. In colder weather I use a cheap cell foam mat on top for insulation held in place the a few bits of self adhesive velcro. Self inflators to be honest are pretty crap in comparison in terms of comfort; the 'down' mats may be very good too but are double your budget or more IIRC.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
If you are , or know, a Costco member and they have a store near you , they currently have a good, thick, full length "self inflating" foam cored mat for about £20 -25.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Another option may well be to get a traditional 4 leg camp bed, their fit your criteria of being very comfortable and their cheap at approx 17 Pounds each. Through personal experience if a woman is cold and uncomfortable its not the last you'll hear of it and a spoiled weekends camping..lol

That is why you pack duct tape.....you didn't think it was used *just* for tent repairs did you? :rolleyes:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
LOL. Duct tape is like "The Force." It has a light side and a dark side; and it holds the universe together.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE