Self heating drinks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Hi folks,

Does anyone have an idea where I can source any self heating drinks like coffee, hot chocolate etc? I've tried all the usual places but can't find a suppllier anywhere. I could get them off amazon a couple of years back but they seem to have gone out of production completely.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I for one have to "self heat" most of my drinks. The kids only make 1 in 10, if I am lucky.
( I know it does not help but you know its what you where thinking)

On a more serious note, would they not cost the earth.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Yeh the cans seem to have gone out of production everywhere. I can get them from France but the shipping is prohibitive as it's only for a one off trip.

The flameless ration heaters are good for in vehicle heating etc.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I'm genuinely curious as to the scenario where (other than as a one off) a self heating drink makes more sense than; (a) a decent flask, (b) a cheap gas or petrol, meths, hexi stove, Kelly kettle etc. (c) a cheap kettle if you have access to mains leccy or (d) a 12v heater if you are in a vehicle as in one of my favourite tv adverts ever,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sWnTWNDPTJo

Admittedly, IME the tide would have come in and out at least twice and the VW would need a push start before the coffee got even tepid using one of those heaters! :rolleyes:

I'm not trolling, just genuinely interested in your thinking. :)

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
ITW used to have something called a Bodah Pak. Flameless water heater for drinks and such.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
I'm genuinely curious as to the scenario where (other than as a one off) a self heating drink makes more sense than; (a) a decent flask, (b) a cheap gas or petrol, meths, hexi stove, Kelly kettle etc. (c) a cheap kettle if you have access to mains leccy or (d) a 12v heater if you are in a vehicle as in one of my favourite tv adverts ever,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sWnTWNDPTJo

Admittedly, IME the tide would have come in and out at least twice and the VW would need a push start before the coffee got even tepid using one of those heaters! :rolleyes:

I'm not trolling, just genuinely interested in your thinking. :)

I used them a few years back camping at a music festival where fires and stove were strictly forbidden. Obviously a flask is no good in this situation and there was no access to electricity. Admittedly the coffee was rubbish, but it was hot and wet and better than walking to the other end of the site first thing I the morning.

I was wanting a couple more for a similar situation. Looks like I'll have to come up with a plan B!

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I used them a few years back camping at a music festival where fires and stove were strictly forbidden. Obviously a flask is no good in this situation and there was no access to electricity. Admittedly the coffee was rubbish, but it was hot and wet and better than walking to the other end of the site first thing I the morning.

I was wanting a couple more for a similar situation. Looks like I'll have to come up with a plan B!

Fair enough, that's one scenario I hadn't thought of.

Sadly, I'm now of an age where, much as I love a coffee first thing in the morning, I have to get out of my bed/tent/hammock and make space for it first anyway!

IME a decent stainless steel flask (at least when new) will keep boiling water hot enough for coffee for at around 18 hours so a coffee bought the evening before should be drinkable next morning:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE