see what happens when bcuk goes offline?

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I start to make things at this time of year!
P1030015copyresized.jpg

nothing very dramatic; just a pouch from leather, a "lookynat" spoon from birch and a fire talisman from rowan.

Please Sir-I've made some more.:slap:

I must get to Ikea for one of those "stops the voices-guaranteed" colanders:bluThinki

Still snowing
R.B.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nice one! I had a twiddle with some mammoth ivory that Per sent along with some knives. It has polished up like glass and I was gonna give it to the missus but don't want to now! I need to put a hole in for attatching a necklace, but I'm not sure whether to leave it blank or try and carve something into it.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Now that is a nice spoon!. Going to have to lift my game to see if I can get anywhere close to that. Any hints on getting that sort of detail into it? Did you use a fret saw for the pierced sections on the handle?

rancid badger

Now that is a nice spoon!. Going to have to lift my game to see if I can get anywhere close to that. Any hints on getting that sort of detail into it? Did you use a fret saw for the pierced sections on the handle?

All I use is a Robert Sorby mini gouge for the holes and a cheap, chip carving knife for the detail bits. It's all "whittling round the campfire" type stuff, the trick is simply to take your time and keep turning the work over to cut from either side-oh and remember to keep your flesh out of the way when you start getting close to cutting through!

Thanks again
R.B.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
All I use is a Robert Sorby mini gouge for the holes and a cheap, chip carving knife for the detail bits. It's all "whittling round the campfire" type stuff, the trick is simply to take your time and keep turning the work over to cut from either side-oh and remember to keep your flesh out of the way when you start getting close to cutting through!

Thanks again
R.B.

I think you underestimate your talent. Superb work.:notworthy

rancid badger

Very nice indeed. Is the fire motiff a tradition somewhere?:D

Do you know, I honestly have no idea! I've seen it before somewhere a good while ago but I have an idea it was something to do with totem poles or the like.
P1030016copyresized.jpg

It's made from rowan(mountain ash) that I had lying around, it was well seasoned but carved beautifully. I just need a bit of leather thonging now.

thanks for the compliments
kind regards
steve

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
The praise is well deserved. The reason I asked about the motiff is that I have an interest in native beadwork. Your fire piece looks to me as it might have its origins as a bead pendant, or the like. Symbols like that were a very powerful thing in many cultures.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE