Security when using a Hammock and Tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Having not yet tried out my new Hammock and Tarp and also having had my Tent Slashed during the night or late evening when I was in it along with my wife. I thought I would pose this question.
I know that it is only sensible to pick a very secluded place to sling your hook--sorry Hammock if camping on your own, but I would like to ask if anyone has had any problems with security. In a group you have a measure of protection but not on your own. Having had the above unfortunate incident on a commercial site, I was toying with the idea of rigging up a trip line round my immediate area attached to one of those Pocket Assault Alarms which incidentically you can get in Tesco's for £1.99 at the moment.
Can anyone also tell me what you do with your surplus gear when in your Kip I suppose some of it can be inside your hammock beside you . I do not want to get neurotic over this incident but with so many wierdoes going about at night because they are unemployed and can sleep all day ,things seem to be a lot less secure than previously.
I have camped for over fifty years with only this one incident, and I am keen to believe that it was an isolated incident. I am not for one moment getting at those unfortunate enough to be out of work for genuine reasons but those who have no intention of working and use any means they can at others expence to feed a drugs habit or other things.
I have had a spell of unemployment so I know how unpleasant it can be for those who want to work. Any thoughts on this? Security, not unemployment.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Hmmm.... I don't really see any way of keeping your gear secure when camping. But I'd hope that as long as you stay away from commercial campsites you should be OK. If you're a couple of Ks from the nearest road, anybody you encounter is (a) likely to be similarly minded, and (b) unlikely to want to carry your stolen gear that far.

On the upside, at least with a hammock and tarp there's no motivation for anyone to slash your gear to find out what's inside...

As for the unemployed wierdos, I think most of them are in the towns. I know I was... ;) The chances of encountering someone you'd rather not are directly proportional to the number of people around.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Have seen those pacsafe things, a cable mesh bag for securing your rucksack to the nearest immovable big thing (eg tree).

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah - Ditchmonkey had one of those, lost the key, couldn't get into his rucksack for weeks! ;)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Security is always an issue on commercial camp sites as people can easily see your comings and goings. I have never had any problems but then never really leave anything in a tent that is really worth bothering with!
I really am a bit of an unsociable bugger and really don't want to camp or walk in any area where people will find me so no problem.
I have seen people in commercial sites using a camo tarp on the floor to 'hide' their rucksacks which they put at the back of their tent near a hedge etc which would work to an extent at night. Also as mentioned before the nearer you camp to a road where the idiots can drive in the more likely the problem, how many camp fires do we see near to a road? Loads round here as the average Joe cant be ars** to go too far from the car!:eek:
dave
Its a worry but unlikely you will experience anything again good luck:)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Wow, Smokey
Sorry to hear of your incident. I've never really thought about security whilst out and about, perhaps I ought. Valuables get locked in the car out of sight if I'm at all nervous of having them stolen
Seclusion has always been my ideal, that and camping amongst many other bushcrafters who are all in the same predicament.
I'm not sure I'd want to set off an attack alarm for fear of escalating the violence being visited on me - it also depends on "Friendly forces" being within earshot and willing to come to your aid.
For keeping items close to hand in your hammock, I've strung a mesh hammock (often sold as lightweight/military hammocks) on the same supports as my sleeping hammock and stashed gear in there - though they are prone to rolling over and tipping the contents right where you want to put you feet for you midnight Bio-Break:rolleyes:

ATB

Ogri the trog

I've had my tent pegs pulled up and fly sheet slashed on Fetlar in the Shetlands when I was only 15! Lets face it the population on that island which is remote has got to be less than 100 or so. I've had stuff nicked from the west coast to on beach camps. My theory is camp no where ur tent or bivi will be seen or if that is not possible always stay within sight of it which is fairly restrictive. As for your personal safety, yes a trip wire around the perimeter of your site is a good idea however you are gonna need an awful lot of strong fishing line or trip wire (you can buy from USMC) but if u insist on camping where that kind of hassle is expected instead of going to all the hassle of a trip wire I'd buy a decent catapult instead along with a personal safety dye spray:D

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I tend to have a big hairy GSD sleeping under me when I'm out alone or on a commercial site with the mrs.....people tend not to want to come over when he rares up! :lmao:

I also take anything of value if I leave my kit alone for any length of time........and.....I've been lucky ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I must say I've never had any bother on either commercial sites or wilderness camping.

When wilderness camping, I still prefer a covert outlook. I choose a place where I can't be seen unless I want to be seen. I rarely use commercial sites these days as the noise, drunks and dayglo fashion wanabes make me wish I'd stayed at home. I used to use Caravan and Camping Club sites too, but I found most people snobbish and didn't want to communicate unless you had a setup similar to thiers There were exceptions of course, but on the whole, I prefer wilderness and solitude these days, maybe with just a few like minded people.

BCUK meets though are the best. I've been to a few now and have just left kit and tools lying around for others to play with, and unatended overnight as well. Never lost a thing at any of the events.

Eric

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I love the idea of someone nicking from you and Dave when out and about!

:D

Deliverance 2 - revenge of the MZBs!

Red

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
bit harsh i know but if yu have such a obvious ignorent bad attitude towards a minority group such as unemployed people then u kinda had it comming .no sympathy for you pal. i really think your attidude stinks and i think you should with draw the coment,im very suprised the moderaters have not picked you up on this yet . i do know unemployed people and they are decent people and often are engadged in volunteer work - certainly when i found myself unemployed in my mid 20s i ended up working for a charity for a year was rewarding but financial suicide - but a lot of people make that sacrifice .
making a sweeping statement like you have is just offencive

security has never been an issue for me out in the wilds always pick a good site and if camping nr others i just check im around decent people you can never be 100 percent sure but i trust my judgement.and yes i have camped in places where there have been unemployed people and i did not lose any gear
criminals can target a certain area or campsite if they think there are rich pickings - generaly the local police and/or campsite will get to the bottom of it pretty quickly.

security marking your kit will aid the cops to track down your kit from known criminals and even aid in the conviction

i remember ben elton said once that he is a very selfish thinking person thats why he wants a fair society as he doesnt like the idea of being bonked on the head for the 10 quid he has in his pocket

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I do not want to get neurotic over this incident but with so many wierdoes going about at night because they are unemployed and can sleep all day ,things seem to be a lot less secure than previously.
I have camped for over fifty years with only this one incident, and I am keen to believe that it was an isolated incident. I am not for one moment getting at those unfortunate enough to be out of work for genuine reasons but those who have no intention of working and use any means they can at others expence to feed a drugs habit or other things.
I have had a spell of unemployment so I know how unpleasant it can be for those who want to work. Any thoughts on this? Security, not unemployment.

William,
I don't see what the problem is with this statement. I know loads of people who are out of work for whatever reason. Some of them are decent, and some of them I wouldn't trust an inch. Smokey has not made a sweeping statement at all. He has quantified his statement to those bad elements in our society. And I do believe he also has the right to state exactly what he thinks because it's his opinion. Everybody has opinions and this is a good place to express them. For goodness sake I could criticise your grammar and poor spelling, but I won't, because it's not relevant.

Lighten up eh?

Eric

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I have to agree with Eric on this.....the poor blokes had his kit nicked and his gear slashed and you're telling him off for venting his frustrations..... Try a little of the empathy you seem to be so happy to use on the dregs of our society on the victims instead before you go shouting your mouth off. :rolleyes:

And no, I don't mean from the above that all unemployed people are dregs....you all know what I'm saying so please don't twist it to suit your own self important moral stances on PC'ness with me coz......frankly my dear, I just don't give a damn :p

I'm all for live and let live but I don't suffer fools all that gladly.

Cheers,

Bam. :)

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I would think your common chav would do this sort of thing. Solved with some string, tin cans and a pick axe handle.

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
I'm self unemployed but I didn't find anything said about unemployed people offensive, in fact i'm more inclined to agree with the "sweeping statement".
It's a sad fact that at least 50% of the "minority" that is the unemployed do not wish to work and therefore will sleep all day and drink all night (it's fun for the first week .. after that it lost it's appeal ;)).

As for the camping .. I tend to camp at campsites (although i've not been for a while) and would only ever wild camp where I know people do not go unless they are doing the same as me. There's only one campsite in the UK that i'd avoid but that's because i'd heard about someones climbing gear being stolen from it whilst they were out climbing for the day (and there's a perfectly good campsite 10 minutes down the road that lets you have fires).

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Nah, you tie the tin cans to the string and make a perimiter loop. When Johnny Chav comes round to nick your gear, he rattles the cans because he's too pi$$ed to see them. Then you clobber him with the pick helf.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE