Section 1 shotgun

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Have any of the shooters on this forum had any experience of applying for a section 1 shotgun to be held on a FAC? I start a new job on 14th March as an underkeeper on a large wild bird shoot on the Oxford/Gloucs border and figured I may as well use the opportunity to apply for a 5+1 shot auto when I transfer my ticket from Thames Valley to Gloucestershire Police. I know some forces are a bit jittery when it comes to considering such applications so I want to make sure I put a good case together for my new FEO. My reasons for wanting one are as follows -

- For control of vermin from a tractor cab, as part of my job will involve some harvest work on the estate farms during the summer (let me asure you it's a pain in the **** to reload a gun inside a tractor cab, especially while its moving!)

- For control of vermin at night, and from a vehicle, where reloading is awkward

- For walking up on hare shoot days (the estate has a huge hare population) I shot as a walking gun over two days there this year and found that the sheer amount being flushed really slowed drives down from everyone stopping the line to reload.

Aside from this, does anyone have any experience or observations of of Gloucestershire Police's Firearms licensing office or staff? Cheers Aaron

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I hold a S1 Shottie Aaron (and section 1 shotgun ammunition). I know some people do use their S1 shotgun for vermin control, but I don't know anyone who has this as their cited "reason to possess". The normally accpeted reason is membership of a club.The form of words normally used as a supplementary condition is something like:

The shotguns to which this certificate relates may be used in recognised practical target shooting disciplines, as a member of a relevant club or recognised association and where the holder has permission to shoot with that class of firearm.

The 12 gauge solid slug ammunition to which this certificate relates shall be used only on ranges in respect of which a range safety certificate specifically authorises use of same or on other land over which the holder has permission to shoot with that class of firearm and ammunition type

Not saying it can't be done to get a Section 1 shotgun for vermin use only - I guess a phone call would answer the question. Clearly once acquired, it can't be used on game birds even if only loaded with 2.

Happy to answer any questions

Red

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Hmmmm thanks Hugh, practical shotgun isnt really my thing (I'm assuming thats what you hold yours for), I'm after one purely for use in my job - but before I apply for anything I'll have a word with my Headkeeper, I know he has a Benelli 9 shot. TBH this is probably the wrong forum for this kind of question, but I dont belong to any shooting ones.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, if the headkeeper has one for that use you should be golden - same use, same land, same FLO - shouldn't be a problem.

The Benelli is a great choice too. I chose the M3 because you can use it in either semi mode or switch to pump for lighter loads.

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE