second atempt at making a knife.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
hi people, i have had another go at handling a knife this time, i got a blank from shing, i uses amboyna burl wood, and had my first go at making mosaic pins, i finished with some pure linseed oil. have learn a lot again from this one, loved doing it, all he needs now is some clothes, and i think i can just about manage that, lol.
hope you like it here it is.

016 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

012 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

009 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

008 by lucky_lee, on Flickr
all comments are welcome.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thet looks terrible ...................... ly good:)
Second attempt - you certainly have done a fantastic job!
My second attempt shall never see a camera lens - nor the third, fourth or fifth...the sith has already been posted (and sold!:D)

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Thet looks terrible ...................... ly good:)
Second attempt - you certainly have done a fantastic job!
My second attempt shall never see a camera lens - nor the third, fourth or fifth...the sith has already been posted (and sold!:D)
thanks john you comments are very welcome mate.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
oh yeh i got the wood from pikebite of this and bb parish, i would like to say he is a legend to deal with, and his his scales are outstanding. if any body wants scales for there knife i would recomend him, i have a mora full tang blank to do next and i'm getting some box elder burl for that:D

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
thats beautiful lee, love the home made pin too....

you just need to start making blades now...;)

regards.

chris...
thanks mate, i suppose thats the next process, i have been looking at getting some flat stock from cromwells and haveing a crack, kust not plucked up the courage yet, after upgrading my grinder to the multigrinder from the group buy, it seem's the next step, i think once i hace taken the plunge, and done i will be fine, its not the cutting out i worry about, or the bevels really as you can take your time, and do it by file, or make a good jig for your grinder, its the heath treat that worries me if i'm honest don't fancy going through all that and then the blade hols a crap edge, i suppose that every bodys concern untill you do it.
take care
lee.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
That's a corker!! very nice design Dude!
cheers' mate, i have made a more elaborate one for me next one, and i'm waiting on some more stuff to come, as i think i'm going to start making some of these, in various designs and if any one is interested i might get rid of a few in six inch lengths.
i want have many but after what i have left after i have taken what i need i will let the rest go.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
thanks mate, i suppose thats the next process, i have been looking at getting some flat stock from cromwells and haveing a crack, kust not plucked up the courage yet, after upgrading my grinder to the multigrinder from the group buy, it seem's the next step, i think once i hace taken the plunge, and done i will be fine, its not the cutting out i worry about, or the bevels really as you can take your time, and do it by file, or make a good jig for your grinder, its the heath treat that worries me if i'm honest don't fancy going through all that and then the blade hols a crap edge, i suppose that every bodys concern untill you do it.
take care
lee.

once its heat treated and tempered its fine, it will hold an edge fine even if tempered in the oven on the highest setting, the problem comes when quenching (in oil, brine or water) thats when things go wrong normaly, the blade can bend or need re hardening, there are tricks to over come this but still things can go wrong, i broke a blade last week trying to straighten it out after water quenching, hey ho life goes on......

you never know untill you try it mate, you could always try with old files first, they cost less......;)

regards.

chris...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE