Searching for a tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Why not just get a DD 3x3m tarp and pitch it on the diagonal?

Thanks, but...

I have a DD 3x3 tarp, and it doesn't work, it's impossible to tension along the diagonal. I assume that is why the Tatonka model designed to pitch this way is a different shape to their rectangular/square tarps.

My wife, who is dressmaker, told me in advance that it wouldn't work because I would have too much material along the diagonal and she was right.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....My wife, who is dressmaker, told me in advance that it wouldn't work because I would have too much material along the diagonal and she was right.

ask your wife to make one maybe? it sounds like she knows what she's talking about :)

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
ask your wife to make one maybe? it sounds like she knows what she's talking about :)

Already suggested that, and I am still posting here so I think her answer was obvious. Having said, knowing it would't work isn't the same as knowing how what to do to make it work. But I suspect there will be designs around.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Already suggested that, and I am still posting here so I think her answer was obvious........

:lmao:couldn't be clearer!

the bit that i snipped......i suppose you're right, but knowing what doesn't work gives you a head start when trying to come up with something that does work, it's at least one less design to experiment with :)

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
:lmao:couldn't be clearer!

the bit that i snipped......i suppose you're right, but knowing what doesn't work gives you a head start when trying to come up with something that does work, it's at least one less design to experiment with :)

Very true, but time means that I need to find one to buy, or work out a better way of using a square tarp.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
You could try a tenth wonder zoid tarp 4.5 x 4.5. It is set up diagonally in the pics on there and looks pretty tensioned.
Thanks
Jacob

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
You could try a tenth wonder zoid tarp 4.5 x 4.5. It is set up diagonally in the pics on there and looks pretty tensioned.
Thanks
Jacob

Thanks for this, unfortunately, this is even bigger than the Tatonka one. I've looked to see if they do smaller one and they don't seem to any.

Thanks for trying.

Graham

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I remember trying to pitch my DD on the diagonal and it wouldn't quite work, even with a decent ridgeline and a couple of prusiks.

Would you be prepared to shop across the pond?

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I remember trying to pitch my DD on the diagonal and it wouldn't quite work, even with a decent ridgeline and a couple of prusiks.

Would you be prepared to shop across the pond?

I would be happy to shop across the pond, have you something in mind.

Thanks

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
The Kelty Noah is good value, comes in at 275 x 275 so not too far off.

Any reason why you want a diamond fly?

Strangely, I have been looking at the Kelty, but it seems there is some question about how waterproof it is.
http://www.kelty.com/p-518-noahs-tarp.aspx

I'm looking at this shape to make it a better quicker/easier to put up a porch over the entrance to tipi style tents. The rationale, which may be flawed, is that this cut which needs fewer guy points, and improves the ridge line would work better than a rectangular shape.

Maybe it's just me, but the tipi has the advantage of pitching quickly, and than I seem spend ages setting up the porch. In the grand scheme of things it isn't that important but I find it irritating. But it's "needed" to stop rain coming in the door.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Strangely, I have been looking at the Kelty, but it seems there is some question about how waterproof it is.
http://www.kelty.com/p-518-noahs-tarp.aspx

I'm looking at this shape to make it a better quicker/easier to put up a porch over the entrance to tipi style tents. The rationale, which may be flawed, is that this cut which needs fewer guy points, and improves the ridge line would work better than a rectangular shape.

Maybe it's just me, but the tipi has the advantage of pitching quickly, and than I seem spend ages setting up the porch. In the grand scheme of things it isn't that important but I find it irritating. But it's "needed" to stop rain coming in the door.

Roger that, I though it might be for hammocking. I was chatting with Stuart69 recently about making something similar for our Hex 3s, just using a PU coated nylon and sewing it up with some grossgrain edging. I thought tying off from the centre pole and then two stakes at the ground, one corner would have a guyline which comes down from a pole or stick, rough Paint sketch

tipitarp.jpg

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
There's a Jack Wolfskin (Moonshine or something like that?) but it's probably a bit on the big side at 4mx4m. I wonder if they do a smaller one?

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Roger that, I though it might be for hammocking. I was chatting with Stuart69 recently about making something similar for our Hex 3s, just using a PU coated nylon and sewing it up with some grossgrain edging. I thought tying off from the centre pole and then two stakes at the ground, one corner would have a guyline which comes down from a pole or stick, rough Paint sketch

I have a Shangrila 5 and a Tentipi Safir 9. Both can be pitched in less than 5 minutes. Both have loops on the apex, and I have both tied off from the loop, and run a guy rope through the loop. But then greeting a decent taught pitch then seems to get tricky, and I have ended up with many combinations of guys and poles, none of which seem to work that well.

The photographs I have seen of porches set up with this style of taro always look tauter as well as going up with a few pegs.

The other style, but with a few more pegs, that looks good are these

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccat_tarps.php

There are instructions for a DIY version here

http://www.teamgunnparker.com/downloads.php?cat_id=1

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE