Searchable summary map of UK flood risk?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Earlier this year I saw a link to an interactive map of the UK that was a pretty powerful tool that I cannot find again. I wonder if any of you people might know what I'm referring to. I've not been able to find it again.

It was a interactive, saleable and searchable map of flood risk predictions. There are options to increase the prediction date going forward, plus an option to pick from the most optimistic to the most pessimistic flood risk models. Basically a map that combines a whole series of flood prediction models in a very user friendly way. I should have bookmarked it because it's one of those websites that you just know you'll want to find it again.

I hope someone knows what I'm talking about and can help me find it again.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'd be interested in that too :)

I do know a company that will do an online survey of your neighbourhood, centred around your property, and give you a detailed analysis of any potential issues re flooding, subsidence, etc., though.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The one I saw was mostly coastal and estuary possibly surface water flooding too. It allowed you to increase the year to see how it changed with time. Also the use of various models to give you a view on the range of possibilities. Some places they show the same results but there were a few variations across the models in other places.

Regret not bookmarking it.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Dunno about a map but personally I'd avoid anywhere with Holm in the name, and places with Willow in their name.
Carlisle has an area called Willowholm and I'll give you one guess about its risk of flooding.

Reactions: Broch

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
When I was younger I had an idea I would visit anywhere local that flooded to kayak down a high street. It was a few years after I had paddled across the road from windermere to the carpark after paddling down the river rothay. This was at waterhead carport. Anyway, a few years after that Carlisle flooded and I had to stop myself driving up the m6 for a paddle. I'm glad I had enough humanity to realise it would be insensitive considering how it meant people being flooded out of house and home. Sure enough the news showed a few people paddling down flooded streets for fun. People without consideration of others IMHO.

I guess Carlisle has a few areas built on flood plains without consideration as to handle the potential for flooding. You look at old houses, cottages, etc. They're often built into areas that offer protection from the worst of the weather. My parent's of house was a 400 year old cottage. Another one next door were together built into a fold in the hillside such that even in gales they had shelter. Not one slate was lost in 25 years living there. I doubt there is the same consideration for terrain and landscape when there's big money to be made in a housing estate, even if the land isn't suitable because of likely flooding issues.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE