Search Function - Annoying

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
I have been trying to find articles on first aid kits. I know there are a few here. However when typing first aid into the search box, I got this reply.

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : FIRST, AID

****** computers
:angry: :***: :aargh4:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I agree. 15 minutes ago I was doing a search on "pathfinder" (because i'm bored) and it came up with the same message... :?: :roll:

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
If you try using * symbols then it packages your search and looks for the precise phrase etc.

ie instead of "First came along a donkey with a band aid" you'd get you specific "FIRST AID" results.

i think....:oops:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
ANDYLASER said:
I have been trying to find articles on first aid kits. I know there are a few here. However when typing first aid into the search box, I got this reply.

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : FIRST, AID

****** computers
:angry: :***: :aargh4:

Most forums wont allow searches for words shorter than 3 letters or very common words. "First" is a very common word and "aid" is too short. The way to get round this, is to tag a wildcard ("*") onto the end of the short word (which will turn up all words starting with aid, so you'll also get aiding etc. in your results, but you can ignore those results).

so, try a search for aid* and you should get about 3 pages of results. ;)

It can be tricky at times, but there is usually a way round this stuff. :wink:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
There is a real technical issue behind limiting the size of the seach criteria, and this is that a search index has to be created and the greater number of words you allow, the bigger this search index that resides on the server.

However, look out for an improvement soon ...

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
OK folks ... you now have the ability to search bushcraftUK via the search facility or using Google. The Google search will be far more comprehensive and return more results.

Enjoy ...

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Adi007 said:
OK folks ... you now have the ability to search bushcraftUK via the search facility or using Google. The Google search will be far more comprehensive and return more results.

Enjoy ...
Thanks Adi! :D That's awesome... :biggthump

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Wayne said:
cheers Adi.

Not sure how to use google to search the site though.
The search options now incorporate a search box that will use Google to search teh forum and return results.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE