seamstress shocker

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I have a buffalo bag that needs a new main full length zip, A seamstress was recommended to me so I took it down and she said she would either replace the runner or price for a new zip, popped in today she said she could not repair it but sourced a replacement zip that only cost £45 for the zip :yikes::yikes::Wow: plus the cost to put it on lol Bargain ......

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ouch, can't you find a cheaper zip anywhere bud? Have you tried the usual places like Point North & Pennine etc?

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
If it was only the puller she could have got you a 'Zlideon'. I posted a review a few years ago on here.

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
A decent quality zip can cost a fair few quid, like most things you get what you pay for. My mum (a professional seamstress) will not buy zips for items that need them replacing but send people to buy their own from where she would get them from so they can see for themselves the true cost of a quality item.

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
it stems from doing an item for someone and them turning round to her saying she was robbing them even though she had the receipt for the zip, after that she started sending them to get their own. the amount of people coming back saying " i had no idea they were so expensive" was ridiculous lol!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A decent quality zip can cost a fair few quid, like most things you get what you pay for. My mum (a professional seamstress) will not buy zips for items that need them replacing but send people to buy their own from where she would get them from so they can see for themselves the true cost of a quality item.

Me too; it's just not worth the hassle.
That said, I don't think I've ever come across a zip that cost £45 :yikes: not even the waterproof ones for drysuits cost that much.

cheers,
M

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Does seem a lot of cash, my local alterations place charged a tenner to put a zip in an army bivvy bag. I had to supply my own zip though.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
by the way getting a broken dome tent off freecycle and taking the zips out of that is way cheap ie nowt then simply sew in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE