Sealing the seam on a silicon tarp

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Great success! I mixed up my own - silicon sealant + white spirit to a consistency a bit thicker than single cream - pitched the tarp and painted it on. I left it to cure outside in the recent (uncomfortably) warm weather for 24 hours and it has gone off beautifully and, best of all, is not tacky. It took next to no time as there was only one seam to seal so I am one happy bunny. I'll now have to try it out in a downpour, just to check it works.

I'm sure it will work fine !

Regarding "tackiness" think of puncture repairs on a bicycle. french chalk ect

Talcum powder, make up brush from Poundland (don't upset the lady)

and while you are there.. the brushes from the art section for applying the silicon mix

Heck, even the sealant, if its clear.

:)

What tarp is it Tiley?

NB I don't get on with the masking tape method, rubbish !

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I might have to have a go while we have this good weather. Am I right in saying its a standard silicone sealant and plain old white spirit then just paint it on the seam after mixing it together obviously to the consistency of single cream or thinner. Is that about right? Then leave hanging up for 24hrs..sent from somewhere?

Yes to your points above, I found that the sealant dried (not at all tacky) in just a 3/4 hours, but temperature and air dispersal of the solvent will play a part in the cure time, I would be happy to roll up the tent or tarp and pack it away within 12 hours.

tartanferret's art brushes sound good.

Personally I would not bother with the talc as I don't think it is needed and I would rather avoid any possible reaction between the sealer and the talc, also some talc has to adhere to the sealant if sealant is wet or tacky.

However if I was pushed and needs must then I would use the talc if I had to pack up the gear urgently.

And agree, masking tape is a waste of time, not needed.

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
It finally rained today, so draped my poncho over the garden furniture. I thought where it was put on very thin/watery might leak, but it was ok. It's a bit rubbery (it is silicone after all) where it was mixed a bit thicker so felt sticky, but was fine. The poncho had little pools of water on it and only a couple of tiny weeny leaks around the draw cord, so very happy. I'll be using this again as I have an old 30l karrimor sabre rucksack where the lining has peeled away from the inside, it looks like a similar coating.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
What tarp is it Tiley?

NB I don't get on with the masking tape method, rubbish !

It's a Rab SilTarp 2 - essentially, a re-branded Integral Designs number. I already like it for the extremely high quality of manufacture, the slightly heavier weight of fabric and the size - plenty of living space!

With regard to using spinnaker tape on seams, I have used it very successfully on a Vihe tarp. I think it works on that because the fabric of the tarp is not siliconised, allowing something as sticky as the tape to adhere to it. Mind you, now that I've proofed my Rab tarp, I think I'll be selling the other one and a Hilleberg one that I never really use: I don't like having stuff that I don't use; strikes me as a terrible waste...

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Well I've done it not the tidiest job but it looks sealed which is the purpose of it. Wait and see what it looks like when it dries.😳 mind you I'm the only one who will be looking at it😉

Sent from somewhere?

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Don't know about additives but I know you can get Acrylic sealants which I think are water based and the normal Silicone which is solvent based. They both come in the tubes that go in sealant application guns so just be a bit careful you don't get the wrong one.

(saying all that, I have no idea if a watered down Acrylic sealer would be effective??)

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Finished at 1430-1500 and just had a little check look now and it looks ok to me ??👍 just had a look at the sealant tube and it say silicone but the small print says a anti fungicidal additive is in it but that's in the real small print on the back? Of the tube.

Sent from somewhere?

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Just an update it came out really well not the tidiest finish but tested it with the hose and it's worked. 👍👍

Sent from somewhere?

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I'll be using this again as I have an old 30l karrimor sabre rucksack where the lining has peeled away from the inside, it looks like a similar coating.

Fantastic idea! I have an old berghaus cyclops where the PU coating has long gone - I've been meaning to give the bergen a re-furb for a while. I wonder if it mixes ok with the PU coating on my other rucksacks -might be a nice idea to waterproof the seams etc on those.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Just an update it came out really well not the tidiest finish but tested it with the hose and it's worked. ����

Sent from somewhere?

when i'v done it i find the excess silicone pretty much sorts itself out over time lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE