Adding Loops to a DD Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Hi guys.

I've been using my DD tarp quite a bit (just returned from 9 days in the Karelian wilderness). The way we are being taught, and my own limited experiences have led me to prefer setting it up on the diagonal. With three corners attached to the ground and one suspended. This works especially well when you build a tripod over the central loop with one long bent sapling (keeps it taut and means you don't have to cut any trees down).

However, in order for it all to work properly i really need hanging loops on a diagonal ridge. Like this:

70009689.jpg

I have emailed Nick at DD and he has told me that it would be possible to do (with the help of a seamstress, which I have) using a pattern based on the existing loops and then sealing it with seam tape.

Basically what I'm looking for is advice, if anyone has done this before - lessons learned etc. Or whether I should just let sleeping tarps lie...

And also, what tape to use for the loops and to seal them, what thread to use...

Many thanks!! :240:

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I've rigged my favourite DD tarp for bad weather (usually driving rain) this way before and I kind of agree with the idea of adding loops there too but I would worry about compromising the waterproofing. Some of the Tatonka tarps are like this. If you can get it done well then I'd say go for it, it's your tarp to mod as you see fit.

Cheers,

Alan

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Never seen a DD in real life, but on my home made tarp I sewed fabric on each side of the attachment spot, and then using 18 or 25 mm polyester webbing from the fabric store (can't recall which I used). Sealing was with a seam sealer inteded for tents. Needs to be redone, but that is after a lot of use.

I often leave one of the corners up from the ground; it all depends on the weather

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Must be having a dim period as I can't visualise the tripod/sapling set-up. However, I'd guess that you want the extra loops on the diagonals to stop the tarp sagging. The Big Tarp has a tendency to sag when set up on a long rig similar to the cornerwise way you have it. I have found that a long guy from the pole, thru' the middle (where the diagonals cross) loop, to a point 3 or 4 feet beyond the end of the tarp tends to lift the sagging part nicely.
Thus;

lifting_guy.jpg

My apologies if I've got it all wrong. :shrugs shoulders emo:

Last edited:

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Yeah its a bit weird to visualise...I didn't get it until one of my Finnish mentors explained it properly, then took some experimenting. a friend from my course has a photo, if i can get it off them i'll put it up on here so you can see. essentially the tripod is over the tarp instead of in front. one long pole (the bent sapling) going on the diagonal, then two poles lashed to that at the middle point coming down to the left and right corners...

I basically do what's in your pic now, but its not a total solution i feel - at least with my tarp and the settings in which i tend to camp...cheers for the advice tho :D :D

Thanks for the advice forestwalker - thats what i was thinking, good to know it can stand up a bit :D

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I keep meaning to do this to my DD tarp.

I would add a layer of some waterproof fabric, about 2 inches square and stitch this to the tarp in the desired 4 points using 8 stitches per inch with polyester thread. I would then bartack the loops onto the re-inforced points. I woudn't trust the loops to be stitched directly to the single layer of polyester, it may rip in time. Seal with proprietary seam seal, silicon sealant or some CT1 if you have it.

Check out HF for more advice, especially centre tie outs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE