Sealing the seam on a silicon tarp

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Before I press the 'buy' button to get hold of some McNett Silnet seam sealant, does anyone know if spinnaker tape will seal the seam on my tarp effectively? I am slightly fed up with the gummy glue technique, which never quite dries as it should, so I'm looking for other equally effective methods of keep out the (driving) rain.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
^ + 1 to that method.

Takes a fair bit (15 minutes) to stir the silicone in to really workable barely noticeable finish when it has dried, works great.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I used some Fabsil which I think is Naptha? White spirit works but stinks for a bit. Those £1 petrol lighter refills should work as well?

I used thinned Silicone to make a DIY Silnylon tarp and it worked very well. Fabsil is just Silicone and a solvent (Naptha mostly) in a very thinned form. It's hard to say the consistency for seam sealing, maybe a bit runnier than single cream?

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Many thanks for the suggestions. It seems it's much as I thought: I am going to have to paint the seams, rather than tape them; I think I'll try the silicon sealant + white spirit option and see what happens. Hopefully, it won't rain and the b****y stuff will dry properly so it isn't tacky!

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Painting them will work much better than tape since it'll sink deeper into the material, the thinned silicone is a good idea

Tonyuk

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Both Kifaru and Seekoutside do videos of seam-sealing silnylon tipis on youtube - methodology for all silnylon should be similar. Basically use pure silicon sealant and white spirit to dilute to desired consistency, then paint on seams, taking particular care of taped areas (pegging loops etc).

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Many thanks for the suggestions. It seems it's much as I thought: I am going to have to paint the seams, rather than tape them; I think I'll try the silicon sealant + white spirit option and see what happens. Hopefully, it won't rain and the b****y stuff will dry properly so it isn't tacky!

It dries very quickly as it happens, mix more than you think you will need,if it gets gloopy you can discard it, it is so cheap to make it does not matter.

I use a plastic cup like the ones that are used in soup or tea and coffee dispenser machines, good source for a free cup.

Be generous with the silicone sealant, and buy the cheap stuff (screwfix and toolstation have low cost silicone), not the type with added this or that enhancers as additives can be counterproductive (you need to google that for more in depth info).

My final mixed batch is approx 2/3rds of a cup, about 1/3rd of the cup is silicone,it is easy to add more white spirit but you have to mix very very thoroughly.

1/2" or 3/8" paintbrush is ideal and it paints on with surprising ease and it is easy to keep a consistent line width, actually very nice and quick to work with, I have found the finished results very pleasing, in my case(s) I have to look rather closely to see the painted silicone seal, it is unobtrusive.

Last edited:

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
Just tried this today on an old poncho. I used B&Q silicone sealant and white spirit and mixed a couple of batches which were varying thicknesses, from pretty thin to a wallpaper paste consistency. The thin stuff doesn't seem to feel as sticky and coats well. Not sure how waterproof it is yet, but we'll see when it rains 😀

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Great success! I mixed up my own - silicon sealant + white spirit to a consistency a bit thicker than single cream - pitched the tarp and painted it on. I left it to cure outside in the recent (uncomfortably) warm weather for 24 hours and it has gone off beautifully and, best of all, is not tacky. It took next to no time as there was only one seam to seal so I am one happy bunny. I'll now have to try it out in a downpour, just to check it works.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Nice one! If ever a tarp needs a total reproof you can mix up a generous dollop of clear Silicone in a pint or two of thinners and dunk the whole thing in it and hang it flat as you can to dry it evenly. You don't really see the Silicone in the fibres and the material doesn't change hardly but there's enough to repel water nicely.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
If you didn't want to or feel confident to mix your own sealant, what's good to use??

Sent from somewhere?

I've read some people using brick sealant, but personally not sure of this. Fabsil is a silicone sealant for fabrics, it is quite thin though.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
If you didn't want to or feel confident to mix your own sealant, what's good to use??

Sent from somewhere?

It really doesn't require cartloads of confidence. I'm not the most practical bloke but I found this very straightforward to do. The most important things are to make sure that the white spirit and sealant are well mixed together and that the tarp or tent is left for a good day - 24 hours - to go off. In the long run, it is so much cheaper to make up your own sealant than fork out for the branded or McNett versions.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I might have to have a go while we have this good weather. Am I right in saying its a standard silicone sealant and plain old white spirit then just paint it on the seam after mixing it together obviously to the consistency of single cream or thinner. Is that about right? Then leave hanging up for 24hrs..

Sent from somewhere?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE