Sea kayaking the bonny banks….

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Sea kayaking the bonny banks….

Balmaha Launch

wpid-imag0557.jpg

Wallaby Island (Inchtavannach)

wpid-imag0551.jpg

wpid-imag0553.jpg

We sea kayaked the flat calm waters of loch lomond. Light rain faded during a circuit of the main islands. We spotted a white deer, roe or fallow, on the bank of Inchmoan, which bolted when we got a few hundred metres from it. Perfect flat calm. No wallabies seen on Inchtavannach but a white deer watched us from Inchmoan. Great company. Only one boat and the boatplane disturbed the flat calm and noise of the overhead geese. Passed a red Novacraft prospector with a chap who had overnighted and had a green poncho on. We spent half an hr creeping around Wallaby island to no avail. Lots of sign but none.

Sea kayaks differ from white water kayaks as they are designed to track straight and glide over waves. They have lockers within the hull for packing lots of kit, for extended trips overnight.

GPS Track was -

Distance 13.km total, Avg Spd 3.9Kph, Max Spd 9.2 Kph, Total time 3.30hrs, 2hrs 48mins moving.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice piccies Nick

Was that this weekend ? It's been blowing a hooley down here since Thursday, definitely not paddling weather anyway.

You need to be on Inchconnachan for the furry jumpy critters though.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
It was today. We were on Inchconnachan, thanks for reminding me ! We did all the islands between Balmaha and Luss except Inchmurrin.

Yesterday was a tad blowy but as you can see, flat calm today. The reflections of the cummulus were like snowy peaks. I'll add better photos tomorrow as those were just my phone on the shoreline. Sore upper arms as I have not kayaked for two months, only WW Open Canoed. One of the sea kayakers today came 3rd in the Oban Sea Kayak race and was 'going easy' today !

Luckily I live 45mins drive away................

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
Superp pics, dead jealous. its been lashing it down and blowing a hooley all weekend!!!
I forgot about wallaby island when we were there in the summer it was only when we we're driving away i remembered, oh well we will have to get there this year.
That oban race look a bit of fun!

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
The OBAN sea kayak race was last year http://www.obanseakayakrace.org/results.html

The guys who came second and third are both 50+ and that was only a few minutes slower than the Open category. You do need a lot of Flares etc and clothing. Yesterday, he was giving me tips on my Forward Paddling technique. Which although seems easy, he had a slower cadence but relaxed effort compared to me and my poor technique.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE