Scythe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

richos36

Forager
Aug 9, 2010
Nottingham
www.codnor-t-f-c.co.nr
Hi all anyone know where I can get a sieth or hand sieth ? or anyone selling one ?
I do a lot of field target shooting and setting courses out so I need a sieth to clear a path to the target
grass bracken and nettles
TIA Shaun

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
A scythe? It’s a lot of work to use but satisfying I suppose. I think I would use a petrol powered strimmer / brush cutter though. Much, much quicker, especially if you have to cut through bushes etc.

Reactions: The Frightful

richos36

Forager
Aug 9, 2010
Nottingham
www.codnor-t-f-c.co.nr
A scythe? It’s a lot of work to use but satisfying I suppose. I think I would use a petrol powered strimmer / brush cutter though. Much, much quicker, especially if you have to cut through bushes etc.
only cutting a few 30 meter lanes and most is already cut by the farmer
just grass and nettles I would prefer to do it by hand as a petrol strimmer would be too expensive for the club to pay out
I`ll nip to garden centre friday

Last edited:
Reactions: slowworm

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Yup, the spelling of scythe really puzzled me when I saw the thread name.
Maybe that hasn't helped in finding a source?

www.thescytheshop.co.uk

A little googling with the word Scythe and UK gives all sorts of hits. Some are rather expensive for what you want.

Best of luck :)

Chris

Reactions: richos36

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hi all anyone know where I can get a sieth or hand sieth ? or anyone selling one ?
I do a lot of field target shooting and setting courses out so I need a sieth to clear a path to the target
grass bracken and nettles
TIA Shaun

The title of your thread isn’t going to help you find what you’re looking for.

At the top of your post, on the right you’ll see a little box that says ‘Watch’. Immediately to the right are 3 dots and a down arrow. Push the down arrow and you’ll see an Edit option. Change title to Scythe. :)

This bloke is superb to deal with and has a selection of timeless tools you’ll have trouble resisting. I’m sure if you don’t find the exact tool you’re asking for, you will be tempted by some of the others.

I bought a slasher/hook from him a while back, put a demon edge on it and use it to cut hedges, shrubs and brambles around the garden long before I need to lube the petrol Dolmar hedgecutter and fill it with fuel and find the ear defenders and visor etc. It’s a much more pleasant way of keeping things under control while the stems are soft and thin than busting out the big heavy, smelly tools.

No 746 here.

http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/images/hand slashers 3.jpg

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Scythes are a wilful beast and inclined to bite the unwary in the ankles.
Unless you are going to get some decent tuition on how to use it effectively a scythe is probably not the best tool for the job.
They always look fantastically easy to handle when you see an expert using one, but it takes quite a lot of practice to use one effectively. I've had a few goes, and some tuition too, but never really had the excuse to practice enough to become proficient.
You might be better served by some sort of sickle/slasher as you don't really need a scythe finish. Bracken is also super-tough and will take the edge off your tools very quickly. A second-hand brush buster type machine could be a good shout for the job you're looking at.
If you do end up getting a scythe please make sure you also get some training so you stay safe.
Good luck with your project.
Simon

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Having been taught early and used ever since whats most in danger is the blade itself. It is very easy to stick it to the ground and bend it. It takes some time to learn to slice with one but it is a very handy tool. There are various blade types available, my recommendation is a fairly short and stout one. ;)

Reactions: plastic-ninja

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I can't see how a scythe would be a risk to a user, even if they've just watched a couple of vids. The blade is always going away from you and if you use a shorter weed / ditch blade it's easier to control. You don't want to be near other people or animals though.

A scythe with a short, stout weed blade sounds ideal. I picked up one of mine from an agricultural supplies shop, another mail order and a couple of old, heavy, english style scythes in a local auction.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
What are thoughts on the "Scythette"?
FAICOUSCYTHE.jpg

My mum has one and being only around the five feet tall, she finds it a little awkward to use. I have used it occasionally and found it worked pretty well for whacking down things like docks, cow parsley and similar weeds. A bit harder in soft grass, it seemed to need a space to swing to get a good run up. One handed, and not a lot of mass, it needed speed for it to work.
On the other hand, a lot cheaper and easier to find than a full size scythe...

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
A full size two handed one is here about eur 70. Unless broken that will last half way to Ragnarök.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'd second a slashing hook.
Usefull for many things I've used one to clear woodland full of bramble nettles etc.
Cheaper than a scythe and easily sharpened with a stone.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

richos36

Forager
Aug 9, 2010
Nottingham
www.codnor-t-f-c.co.nr
Thanks for the reply's apparently my way of spelling it is Arcadian lol
I'm aware of safety issues with them and im sure a scythe would be cheaper than a petrol strimmer
was really checking if any one was selling one before I troll around garden centres
cheers shaun

• Angry
Reactions: Nice65

richos36

Forager
Aug 9, 2010
Nottingham
www.codnor-t-f-c.co.nr
The title of your thread isn’t going to help you find what you’re looking for.

At the top of your post, on the right you’ll see a little box that says ‘Watch’. Immediately to the right are 3 dots and a down arrow. Push the down arrow and you’ll see an Edit option. Change title to Scythe. :)

This bloke is superb to deal with and has a selection of timeless tools you’ll have trouble resisting. I’m sure if you don’t find the exact tool you’re asking for, you will be tempted by some of the others.

I bought a slasher/hook from him a while back, put a demon edge on it and use it to cut hedges, shrubs and brambles around the garden long before I need to lube the petrol Dolmar hedgecutter and fill it with fuel and find the ear defenders and visor etc. It’s a much more pleasant way of keeping things under control while the stems are soft and thin than busting out the big heavy, smelly tools.

No 746 here.

http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/images/hand slashers 3.jpg
I know how to use the forum and its obviously got peoples attention that know ?
thank you for the link but I`ll be buying this at my cost not clubs as its to aid my intentions for a few so club wont pay
Thanks shaun

• Angry
Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I know how to use the forum and its obviously got peoples attention that know ?
thank you for the link but I`ll be buying this at my cost not clubs as its to aid my intentions for a few so club wont pay
Thanks shaun

That know sieth means scythe? I’m sure you can use the forum and I profoundly apologise for trying to help you get an answer to your question by offering advice on how to change a post title and an interesting old tool site. There are two posts above mine asking if you meant scythe, so don’t get bolshy with me for not understanding. I’m really not sure why it’s rubbed you up the wrong way.

I have utterly no idea what you’re talking about regarding clubs and buying at your own cost, I directed you to a site selling exactly the sort of tool you’re after. Next time ask for a dictionary or spelling lessons if you want help from people here ready to offer it. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:

richos36

Forager
Aug 9, 2010
Nottingham
www.codnor-t-f-c.co.nr
That know seith means scythe? I’m sure you can use the forum and I profoundly apologise for trying to help you get an answer to your question by offering advice on how to change a post title. There are two posts above mine asking if you meant scythe, so don’t get bolshy with me for not understanding.

I have utterly no idea what you’re talking about regarding clubs and buying at your own cost, I directed you to a site selling exactly the sort of tool you’re after. Next time ask for a dictionary or spelling lessons if you want help from people here ready to offer it. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
sorry your angry at me I apologise for that
I did a google search and sieth came up with the description of the scythe apologies for not putting the the right word
hope you can calm down and see its just a word ?
and thank you for your input much appreciated
Shaun

richos36

Forager
Aug 9, 2010
Nottingham
www.codnor-t-f-c.co.nr
What are thoughts on the "Scythette"?
FAICOUSCYTHE.jpg

My mum has one and being only around the five feet tall, she finds it a little awkward to use. I have used it occasionally and found it worked pretty well for whacking down things like docks, cow parsley and similar weeds. A bit harder in soft grass, it seemed to need a space to swing to get a good run up. One handed, and not a lot of mass, it needed speed for it to work.
On the other hand, a lot cheaper and easier to find than a full size scythe...
countryman grass hook looks ideal thank you

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
sorry your angry at me I apologise for that
I did a google search and sieth came up with the description of the scythe apologies for not putting the the right word
hope you can calm down and see its just a word ?
and thank you for your input much appreciated
Shaun

It‘s fine mate. I couldn’t remember the name of Timeless Tools, so did a search here for the Elwell I bought from them so as to post a link to the types of tool I thought would appeal. We’re obviously at cross purposes with a bit of misunderstanding thrown in. Not a good mix for written word posts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE