Screwdriver handles

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
I'm in the process of making a set of screwdrivers from the screwdriver shanks from lee valley tools. I made this one tonight as sort of a test. I had some thick planks in my lumber pile that has quite a few worm holes. I believe it is butternut but unsure. Should I handle the set in this wood or do the worm hole look silly? Be honest, like I said, this handle is a test!

2e3uhyvu.jpg

eze7e6y8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I like them, especially the bottom two. The top one looks as if the handle is not stained yet. The worm holes look quite bright, or it could be just the light making it look like that.
Whichever, I think the bottom ones are very nice.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Kind of gives it character and a vintage look, which I like. My only reservation is are the little buggers dead or still likely to be eating your handy work?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Like the others I like the distressed look, (never say that to a girlfriend when getting ready to go out - it leads to a rather cold evening), just treat it to kill the larvae

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Character is, I think, the keyword here - I think they look great!........................atb mac

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I quite like them. I wouldn't mind the worm holes but I think if I had a handy wood lathe which it looks like you do, I'd personally knock a mint set up.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I think they look great as they are, and if the wood had any kind of sentimental value at all I'd say keep them exactly as they are, but, as Pete said, if you've got the tools and the skills to produce a perfect set then it'd be silly not to. Either way, I hope you get years of use out of them.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Thanks for all the input folks. I'm gonna have a look at my lumber pile to see what I have. I may have some cherry thick enough for the job so I will update when I do some new handles! I like the idea of non wormy but it really depends on what wood I have.

Biker

Those are rather nice! I made a picture frame a few years ago out of Cherry and a piece of that was riddled with worm channels and no matter how I cut the plank the channels would show. So I just made a feature out of it instead keeping the wormy part to one corner by a mitre joint. Looked pretty effective once it was all varnished up. Gotta hand it to those worms, they do make for some interesting features in the woodwork.

Nice job mate, well done. They already look like they're antiques, instead of hot of the lathe.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
There's two differing types of screwdriver handle that I really like.
The old cabinet makers screwdrivers like this...
Screwdrivers_wm.jpg

Then there's the hard handle square Snap On type, I'm not posh and although I own three I reckon I've only paid about two quid for them (I found one) and the other two I bought secondhand.

I hate to admit it cos the world has far too many Snap On fanbois, but the handle shape is good.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
So I found some cherry planks! And lots of them! Don't tell my lovely wife or I will be building a house full of cherry furniture! Here it is, I quite like the result but still torn between wormy butternut and non wormy cherry!

tyhume6e.jpg

dygenavy.jpg

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I quite like the result but still torn between wormy butternut and non wormy cherry!

Do half with butternut and half with cherry:rolleyes: That cherry is lovely, be a real shame not to use it. Maybe another set of screwdrivers with both woods used is in order:naughty:

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Do half with butternut and half with cherry:rolleyes: That cherry is lovely, be a real shame not to use it. Maybe another set of screwdrivers with both woods used is in order:naughty:

You read my mind! I think I will order another set of shanks and do one set in butternut and one set in cherry!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE