Screw gate karabiners wtd

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
If you are going to use these for climbing and absailing you need to buy new. There is no sense in chancing your life on equipment that may have been misused or abused. It really is not worth it.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I coluld be interested in 2 for my hammock or are these over kill for a hammock set up?

A bit, but then some of the ali ones are also incredibly light so it's your call. The ones I do tree work on are SWL 2000kgs. So maybe two of them to support one sleeping bod may be overkill. I use a couple of what we'd call tool clips. They're smaller stainless steel clips with no screwgate.

Leezo

On a new journey
May 5, 2008
GeordieLand
yi cant absail wi snap gates , i'm looking for screw gates

I was referring to the comment about the hammock BUT if push came to shove you could use snap gates for abseiling, it is not recommended for normal use when abseiling but they are plenty strong enough IF you needed to.
How many screwgates you after? Are they for rigging, the safety rope or just attaching your fig. of 8 ?

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
I was referring to the comment about the hammock BUT if push came to shove you could use snap gates for abseiling, it is not recommended for normal use when abseiling but they are plenty strong enough IF you needed to.
How many screwgates you after? Are they for rigging, the safety rope or just attaching your fig. of 8 ?

using for both safety rope and figure eight

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
using for both safety rope and figure eight

You really need screwgates / locking gate climbing rated Karabiners for both Figure of 8 and the Safety line. But you could tie the safety line directly into your harness it's just a bit of a faff having to untie it when your abseil is finished before you scamper off to Abseil again....

Snap link Krabs are rated ( strong enough) for an abseil but the strength of any karabiner drops off dramatically when the gate is open. All the screwgate does is provide a positive locking mechanisim to prevent the gate from comming undone it's the same with Twist gates or the Petzl AMD locking krabs. So for load critical applications ( belays, hauling, securing your portaledge, abseiling) locking gate Krabs are used.

Using a single snap link for attaching a Figure 8 to a harness is not considered good practice. At a push you could use two snap links back to back.

I wouldn't buy second hand kit as you have no Idea what it's been used for prior to you getting it.

Leezo

On a new journey
May 5, 2008
GeordieLand
You really need screwgates / locking gate climbing rated Karabiners for both Figure of 8 and the Safety line. But you could tie the safety line directly into your harness it's just a bit of a faff having to untie it when your abseil is finished before you scamper off to Abseil again....

Snap link Krabs are rated ( strong enough) for an abseil but the strength of any karabiner drops off dramatically when the gate is open. All the screwgate does is provide a positive locking mechanisim to prevent the gate from comming undone it's the same with Twist gates or the Petzl AMD locking krabs. So for load critical applications ( belays, hauling, securing your portaledge, abseiling) locking gate Krabs are used.

Using a single snap link for attaching a Figure 8 to a harness is not considered good practice. At a push you could use two snap links back to back.

I wouldn't buy second hand kit as you have no Idea what it's been used for prior to you getting it.

No one is suggesting that you use snap gates for abseiling or attaching a fig of 8 to a harness. My comment was simply IF you needed to you could, if thats what your referring to.

On a serious note I would advise you to tie your safety line directly into your harness. The less links(karabiners) you have in your system the stronger it is, also the karabiner with your safety line attached gets in the way of your abseil device as it sits the same height and it it takes maybe 2 more seconds to untie your knot than undo a karabiner.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE