Scrap metal gas forge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brendanh

Sep 14, 2019
South Wales
Hi guys, for a while now I have wanted a tidy knife and not have to pay the big price tags that come with them so I decided to make a knife and also a gas propane forge from scrap metal (Stainless 316L, tube, sheet). I decided to fabricate this as I know it won't cost me much and I already have about 1.5 metres of 4mm and 5mm O1 tool steel.

Also to add I've always wanted to potch about with a forge and have a go at making a real knife, when I was younger I didn't have the provisions to do so.

Anywhow the only items I have purchased are as follows

Gas regulator £12
Hose clips £2.04
Ceramic wool £18
Refractory cement £12
Fire bricks £9.80

Also I did buy excess wool, cement and bricks just in case.

Can't wait to line it and fire it up, I already have a knife I have blanked out for hardening too
YEbjP72

AXv10Ej

iy3rEZl

Can't seem to embed images so here is the link

https://imgur.com/a/YEbjP72
YEbjP72

Last edited:
Reactions: crosslandkelly

Brendanh

Sep 14, 2019
South Wales
Do you regulate the air flow by sliding the frame down?,I would also advise fitting a pressure gauge to the assembly.

The collars with the single nut can be used to adjust the air fuel mixture, and also how deep the injector sit in the tube, its something I have to dial in when I can. And thanks I will get a pressure gauge fit in line after the regulator

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
That 316L wont make much of a knife mind, its an austenetic steel if I remember it right.
Great for making pressure vessels and pipework but not really hardenable by quenching.
It will work harden but thats not right easy to make use of and more just a problem when you want to drill it.
Same goes for 304.

Brendanh

Sep 14, 2019
South Wales
That 316L wont make much of a knife mind, its an austenetic steel if I remember it right.
Great for making pressure vessels and pipework but not really hardenable by quenching.
It will work harden but thats not right easy to make use of and more just a problem when you want to drill it.
Same goes for 304.

The 316L is the construction of the forge, I have plenty of O1 tool steel :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE