Scouts Young and Old?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
That's a pity as regards the drilling as I understand Baden Powell was opposed to scouts drilling through being a promoter of what he called 'Peace Scouting' of which was for the purpose of preventing war.

There is a difference between Drill all the time and doing Drill properly.

I had some Air Cadets on DoE placement and the scouts sliding their feet in to Alert, really upset them. I let them run a drill session for the kids, lasted about 5 minutes as I had to stop them since they were doing it wrong. We then did a proper session which the kids enjoyed - as a one off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive met too many people who are anti-scout, saying its `too military`

(Like chess)

(Like flags)

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
There is a difference between Drill all the time and doing Drill properly.

I had some Air Cadets on DoE placement and the scouts sliding their feet in to Alert, really upset them. I let them run a drill session for the kids, lasted about 5 minutes as I had to stop them since they were doing it wrong. We then did a proper session which the kids enjoyed - as a one off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Despite being a regular carrier of the scout and national colours at local St George's day parades, I drilled once in my entire scouting career and that was at Combermere Barracks in Windsor, before attending the Queen's Scout Award Parade with about two thousand others. I remember the exasperation of the RSM

Real drilling came later when I joined the RAF, where I later also learned how to avoid being selected for drill duties...

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Ive met too many people who are anti-scout, saying its `too military`

(Like chess)

(Like flags)
Yes I have come across that assertion, but I am of the opinion as society evolved so did scouting and it does have to be said the early twentieth century was a time of war, for military attitudes and ways of doing things to not just be confined to the military, but also in civilian life even schooling.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE