Scout badges

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
As a scout leader things have become a little harder to run Monday evenings with my troop, and this for me thinking about how best to work further badge work with the scouts.
The Scout movement have put a number of things together, one being Badges At Home, which is really good, however I was wanting something more Bushcraft related, so thought if I put this post up, some of you lovely people maybe able to give some ideas which myself and fellow scout leaders can use, so hit me.

Thanks
Ian

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader

• Freebie blue bin bags -->> make a tarp, poncho or Military style rain cape. Lots of other possibilities..
  • Duct tape moccasins
  • DIY 24hr ration pack aka how many calories can you get in a shoebox
  • Find North using the sun/stars
  • Draw a map of your area/town from memory
  • Climb Ben Nevis at home using your stairs, document your ascent and remembr to pack lunch

Reactions: Woody110

just Bill

Mar 31, 2020
Missouri, U.S.A.
As a scout leader things have become a little harder to run Monday evenings with my troop, and this for me thinking about how best to work further badge work with the scouts.
The Scout movement have put a number of things together, one being Badges At Home, which is really good, however I was wanting something more Bushcraft related, so thought if I put this post up, some of you lovely people maybe able to give some ideas which myself and fellow scout leaders can use, so hit me.

Thanks
Ian
Are you doing meetings by video conference (zoom or similar)? Over here, in the states, that's all we're allowed. The best I can suggest, on that format, would be knot or lashing races, first aid (assuming a willing family member as a victim, rather patient).

Fire building would be right out for some of our scouts!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I can't remember there ever being a badge for 'planning' - but I may be wrong (it was a very long time ago).

So, if not, a badge for preparing an expedition (say a trek up in Scotland or something) including kit, health, travel. provisions, routes, camping spots, emergency action, risk assessment and mitigation etc. With all the on-line resources including maps and satellite images a very good plan could be put together from home.

I confess, planning my treks to a fairly fine level of detail is all part of the joy of trekking for me but my wife accuses me of treating each outing as a full MOD project management task :).

Reactions: TLM

UKAndyB

Jun 30, 2018
Flintshire. North Wales
Are you doing meetings by video conference (zoom or similar)? Over here, in the states, that's all we're allowed. The best I can suggest, on that format, would be knot or lashing races, first aid (assuming a willing family member as a victim, rather patient).

Fire building would be right out for some of our scouts!

I'm also a scout leader.
We had our Friday meeting over ZOOM. We ran a scavenger hunt, and to be fair (and going by parent feedback), it went really well and was a great distraction for all!. We managed to get roughly 25 scouts and 4 or 5 leaders on at the same time. Slightly chaotic, but certainly fun!

Reactions: santaman2000

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I can't remember there ever being a badge for 'planning' - but I may be wrong (it was a very long time ago).

So, if not, a badge for preparing an expedition (say a trek up in Scotland or something) including kit, health, travel. provisions, routes, camping spots, emergency action, risk assessment and mitigation etc. With all the on-line resources including maps and satellite images a very good plan could be put together from home.

I confess, planning my treks to a fairly fine level of detail is all part of the joy of trekking for me but my wife accuses me of treating each outing as a full MOD project management task :).
Our family walk planning consists of setting out to one area of the lakes then deciding to walk another on the drive up. Lucky to even pack a map!

Guilty of having a perfect memory of all paths where we are most likely to go in the lakes so only ever use the maps to precisely locate our position to metres for fun,. Not really needed to keep safe, but I'll probably get criticised for that.

Our son is a Beaver so he's doing a poster about another country, he's picked one most people never think about even if it's on our doorstep and prominent in the news since 2016.

As to bushcraft, how about going old school by making camp furniture using lashing techniques. I grew up with a 1978 published book called outdoor handbook. Aimed at kids it was a thorough handbook on many outdoor activities. Under camping out showed how to make camp furniture. Things like tripods for sitting on or for holding a washing up bowl. Not really needed now but IMHO the skills you learn making such things are worthwhile. You never know when those skills could become useful in the future. I use knots learnt originally in cubs and later on courtesy of a ball of white string and a book on knots that became my surprise favourite present one Xmas as a young kid.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Our family walk planning consists of setting out to one area of the lakes then deciding to walk another on the drive up. Lucky to even pack a map!

Yeh, sorry, should have explained, I am talking overland trekking in Africa type planning - but I always have a map with me in the UK if it's an area I don't know well. It's useful, if for no other reason, if anyone needs evacuating or medical assistance.

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
*make and use a training program
*connected with scouts from different parts of the world and learn x number of facts of each country and the scouting organisation in question.
*learn to clean a oven

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What section are you looking at? Scouts, cubs or beavers?

Our beavers has set a task to produce a poster on a country of the beaver's choice. Ours chose Belgium because we toured part of it last summer on bikes. It's possibly easier with beavers than scouts, even cubs.

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
There are some really good ideas here, I do like the idea of planning for a trip, one of badges includes creating a meal plan for 24 hours and making a meal.

I will defiantly be using some, if not all of these ideas in the coming weeks.

And to answer of the questions, I’m a scout leader for “scout scouts” so aged 10.5 to 14.5.

Keeps those ideas coming through, these are really good.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
I’m a scout leader for “scout scouts” so aged 10.5 to 14.5
Ok...
so ideally nothing to do with fire, knives and noxious chemicals that's potentially dangerous or illegal that ideally they can get on with unsupervised with a Bushcraft flavour. Hmmm bit of a brain teaser ...

• Backyard/Garden wildlife survey
  • Worm Charming
  • Dandelion Harvesting ( because I for one and possibly a few others would buy a jar of Dandelion coffee in support of a good cause )
  • Start a small vegetable patch, now is the time to plant potatoes

Slightly more dubious ideas..
  • video a dog eating your homework
  • count cars and pedestrians passing your front window during the day

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Regarding the meal planning my grandson had to do this as a Cub Scout. However the requirements then were to develop a meal plan for a week rather than for a day. It really was a good exercise for a young mind and he still practices a good nutrition routine to this day.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
How things change! My first camp away as a scout we were let loose in Ambleside with our money. There used to be a tobacconist iirc that had some fishing stuff and knives. Everyone with enough money bought a lock knife. Favourite style was reddish wood scales with bright, brass ends. We then took them back to camp and had knife throwing contests that be were more about playing chicken. All while sitting on the grass with our legs open in front of us. Need I say more?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Me too.

I am almost certain there is not badge in Worm charming.

(Does it involve the eating worms song? If so, I pass).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE