Scottish bothy destroyed by fire.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
There was an incident on Wednesday at Gleann Dubh Lighe bothy, off the Mallaig road in Lochaber, arguably one of Scotland's finest bothies, in which the building was gutted by fire.

The following was posted on a bothies website a few days ago.

"I had an extreme dodgy gas canister event at 6am the other morning. As I screwed in a brand new HIGHLANDER canister the seal seemed to burst and gas billowed out and was ignited by a candle burning my face, eyebrows, beard and most of my fleece. I ran outside padding out the flames as the canister continued to spray massive flames directly onto my rucksack which was burning by the time I returned. I threw a fire blanket to no avail and poured what water we had on it. I went to get more water but when I came back I couldn't get inside for black smoke and the inferno. All I escaped with was my wallet and sleeping bag. I called the fire service and felt like a totally useless b*st*rd. My sincerest apologies to everyone."

It looks as though the o-ring seal on the stove has either failed or dropped out. It is known that the o-ring seal in a stove taking a universal thread type gas-canister can adhere to the sealing surface of the canister, so sustaining damage or being pulled out completely.

The couple staying at the bothy had a narrow escape. It could have been a tragedy resulting from a simple action many of us perform on a regular basis... when was the last time you checked to ensure the seal was intact and in place prior to fitting a new canister?

It may even be argued that it was fortunate the chap was closer to a lit candle than he should have been, as the rapid build-up of gas in a confined space could easily have led to fatal consequences had it ignited once the canister had emptied itself. We need to ask ourselves what might be the consequences of such a thing happened inside a tent, or even out in the open if our clothing becomes saturated with gas!

Finally, it was reported yesterday that the Fire Brigade had managed to get two tenders to the fire, on an estate road which includes a very sharp turn onto a steep downhill gradient, an unrated bridge and a half kilometre of steep upward gradient. A big thanks to some of Scotland's finest!

Stay safe and get home with good memories of your trip!

Cheers,

Pango.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Wow, that's one of the reasons I've never owned a gas stove, I just don't trust them.

Give me unleaded or meths any day :)

Glad they got out fairly scratch free and well done to the fire brigade for dampening the flames.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
This happened to me with an old Bluet stove, the o-ring split while screwing it on.

No naked flame though so it didn't take me and my kit with it.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
If he'd changed the canister outside the building the venting gas would have quickly dissipated. He could have safely dropped the thing and got away from it, leaving it to empty itself.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wondered about that.
We were taught to go somewhere out of the reach of anything that could be messed up by it, to change canisters or refill lanterns or stoves with meths or paraffin.

I'm not decrying the check the o rings and the seating, just that he really should have been doing that outdoors and not next to an open flame.

Easy done and most certainly not something he intended.
The only saving grace is that he and his companion *did* get out, even if he is well scorched.

What happens about repair and restitution of a bothie damaged like this ?

cheers,
Toddy

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I wouldn't use one of those dangerous gas stoves and prefer to use my nice and safe Svea 123R...

Now, where's that whistle smilie?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Has anyone got one of these cylinders handy? There are some warnings written on the top of the one I can see on their Website but I can't read them.

I'll be kinda surprised if it doesn't say something like "when fitting this cylinder, take the stove out in the fresh air and keep it away from naked flames".

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Has anyone got one of these cylinders handy? There are some warnings written on the top of the one I can see on their Website but I can't read them.

I'll be kinda surprised if it doesn't say something like "when fitting this cylinder, take the stove out in the fresh air and keep it away from naked flames".

Something like that...

gascart.jpg

Redwall

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2011
Bristol
Honestly I imagine not many people abide by all those rules, particularly when they have had a long day and just want some scoff or a hot brew. Hindsight is 20/20, this is a terrible accident that could have been a lot worse.

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
If he'd changed the canister outside the building the venting gas would have quickly dissipated. He could have safely dropped the thing and got away from it, leaving it to empty itself.

Totally agree. To change a gas canister indoors is unwise. More so to do it next to a lit candle.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Honestly I imagine not many people abide by all those rules, particularly when they have had a long day and just want some scoff or a hot brew. Hindsight is 20/20, this is a terrible accident that could have been a lot worse.

Hindsight is the foresight of the gob****e.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I wondered about that.
We were taught to go somewhere out of the reach of anything that could be messed up by it, to change canisters or refill lanterns or stoves with meths or paraffin.

I'm not decrying the check the o rings and the seating, just that he really should have been doing that outdoors and not next to an open flame.

Easy done and most certainly not something he intended.
The only saving grace is that he and his companion *did* get out, even if he is well scorched.

What happens about repair and restitution of a bothie damaged like this ?

cheers,
Toddy

The MBA (Mountain Bothies Association) will doubtless rebuild it. It's happened before, and I'm sorry to say it'll happen again.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland

My thoughts exactly. Carp happens, as they say. At least no one got hurt or killed - bothies can be rebuilt, and the guy at the centre of this was man enough to publicly come out and say exactly what happened.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Oh, bonny Gleann Dhubh Lighe. Saddening to see, but it is an MBA bothy and will, hopefully, be restored to its former grandeur come the Spring... and hopefully with a slate roof.
At least the gob-stopper cherry tree appears to be unharmed, as are the two bothy-goers.

It's not really appropriate to be too critical here. To my knowledge, there are no statistics on bothy usage but it must amount to multiple thousands of person/nights and thousands of bothy fires per year in the 100 or so MBA bothies alone, and that doesn't account for the hundreds of other open estate bothies in Scotland. I can think of only a few such incidents over the last 20 years where a bothy has been gutted by fire, as against numerous examples of vandalism caused by those unappreciative and disrespectful few leading to bothies being closed as public amenities. Fires are left unattended for whatever reason, they do get banked up too highly and candles are a fire-hazard. But the rarity of such fires getting out of control can only be down to the respect and care taken by those who use bothies.

I've used all manner of fuels in an array of stoves over the years and in my opinion, the screw in gas canister is probably the safest. I've had everything from petrol to paraffin stoves flare up on me for no obvious reason, and would advise the use of petrol only to those with enough common sense to be trusted with it. I'd go further and say that it beggars belief that a fuel with such a low flash point and often invisible flame such as methylated spirit is recommended as the safest alternative for youngsters and the uninitiated.
A marketing coup if ever there was one!

It's all well and good saying that you should read the instructions on the can or stove, I'm sure I have at some point. But they say that familiarity breeds contempt, which is probably a major factor in accidents in every walk of life, and the more often you perform a task the less painstakingly careful you are.

Don't be too judgemental, unless you think you have the guts to stand before a crown of Hill-folk and admit you've burned one of their favoured haunts to the ground, knowing that you'll be the butt of bothy arsonist quips for 20 years to come.

It's a credit to these folk that their first concern was the safety and well-being of those occupying the bothy at the time. They know only too well that it could have been any one of them and that the consequences could have been far worse.

Tolerance is an uncommonly gracious attribute these days.

Cheers,

Pango.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
And it's made me think and when I do my next gas lantern safety talk I'll ensure the kids do cylinder changes outside and also do so myself. Thank you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE