Scottish Access Rights

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Now why would you be jealous? Just because it is now clearly legal to Wild Camp almost anywhere in Scotland and light fires too. And if you want to run a Bushcrafting school you can do it on any piece of land.

Heck I am jealous and I live here! Of couse if I owned my own large estate to play in I may not be as happy. But this weekend I shall sit round my campfire in the sound knowledge that the law is behind me.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
MagiKelly said:
Now why would you be jealous? Just because it is now clearly legal to Wild Camp almost anywhere in Scotland and light fires too. And if you want to run a Bushcrafting school you can do it on any piece of land.

:shock: :***: :***: :banghead: :aargh4: STOPPIT !!!

:biggthump
Martin

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
But does it allow fires in woodland? Official blurb suggests not:

Lighting fires
Wherever possible, use a stove rather than light an open fire. If you do wish to light an open fire, keep it small, under control and supervised – fires that get out of control can cause major damage, for which you might be liable. Never light an open fire during prolonged dry periods or in areas such as forests, woods, farmland, or on peaty ground or near to buildings or in cultural heritage sites where damage can be easily caused. Heed all advice at times of high risk. Remove all traces of an open fire before you leave.
(ends)

In terms of 'leave no trace' best places for fire may be below high water mark (ie, foreshore, where we still have public right of fishing, shooting, fires, etc) or on gravel banks/bars of rivers and burns.

Right of access to hills, and to a lesser extent forests, has a long tradition in Scotland, even if not exactly supported in law. The new law makes this tradition explicit - with few exceptions there is a right of 'responsible accesss'.

Wild camping was technically illegal but widely tolerated and carried out until the new law. Now we have harmonised the law with practice and tradition.

The canoeists will also be pretty ecstatic.

In my experience, nearly all landowners/lairds/keepers are pretty fair minded - it has been the dodgy 1% that everyone talks about. I have some worries about the minority of irresponsible countryside users too. I can understand the city-dweller, divorced from nature, dropping litter into their artificial environment. But I cannot understand folk who go to a lot of trouble to visit wild and unspoilt places and then pollute it. You would be surprised at the mess around some bothies and howffs.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yup, there's always a 'fundamental orifice' somewhere. Pity that the actions of a few can really despoil the beauty and calm of the natural environment for so many :cry:
Personally I count litterers as needing remedial punishment, never mind the £50 fine, make the sods works community service in a recycyling/dump clearance project.

Looking good on the access front here, though I have farming friends who are very worried. They lost two fields of drying hay last year to a numpty with a lighter who was, 'just playing about'.

I can see a huge increase in the demand for environmental education as part
of the school curriculum; this past week I've been booked for another 8 days in spring and summer, and I was already pretty busy.

:cup:
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE