Scotland wild camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mattc334

Aug 6, 2010
lancashire
Hi
I am going up to Scotland for my annual birthday getaway first week in April can anyone recommend a good 2-3 day circular route or area that has some good woods to camp away from the main drag.
was mainly thinking of staying south as do not have much time thinking maybe somewhere like Galloway forest or the trossachs, but any ideas welcome please.

Thanks for any help and advice.
Matt.

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Galloway Forest will be an adventure, but it ain't Forest, it's Plantation... big difference, not knowing the area & particular nooks & crannies you may be in for a disappointment if you just rock up. I think in the Trossachs there are more restrictions on roaming & camping than else-where in Scotland.

Since you're already situated in Lancashire, my advice is to go further North... Perhaps the Cairngorms, Glen Coe, or Loch Rannoch area. Thing is, most Forest areas whether it be Scotland, Wales or England are nothing but lifeless tightly packed Conifer Plantations... not even close to being a bonafide forest. Such is the nonsense we have to put up with on this Island.

Some times you just got to get out there, and see what happens, and what you come across.

mattc334

Aug 6, 2010
lancashire
Thanks for the advice Richard, will look into going further north i do love the mountains, and have spent a bit of time up that way in the old days.
Was hoping for a more wooded area rather than hills as wanted to practice more bushcraft, like you say it is hard to find a decent wood these days especially further north and were you can get some peace away from the crowds.
Thanks again
Matt.

MountainGhost

Feb 10, 2016
United Kingdom
Richard is right. Mono-cultured plantations are a slight variation on the work Sauron did with Mordor. Only without the views. Suitable for Orcs in search of cheap firewood or those who wish to darken their heart by witnessing the decimation man can bring to the earth.

Aviemore provides easy access to the natural forest of the Cairngorms. You'll find remnants of ancient Caledonian pine forest scattered throughout Rothiemurcus. Abernethy is less visited but smaller overall. Elves would approve.

Further north above the Great Glen is Glen Affric. I was there last week in fact. Stunning in so many ways and it has everything from snow-capped mountains to waterfalls to wild forest, all within the bounds of the horizon.

It's a great time to visit too. Midges and ticks are mostly dormant.

My feet itch just thinking about it! Good luck with whatever you find!

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Richard is right. Mono-cultured plantations are a slight variation on the work Sauron did with Mordor. Only without the views. Suitable for Orcs in search of cheap firewood or those who wish to darken their heart by witnessing the decimation man can bring to the earth.

Ha! excellent comment... straight up. I would put in a caveat that it's only a particular type of Land-owning beast, infected with a parasitic virulent need to have, take & conquer. We the people, the Kin of the land, suffer just as much as the Birds, Bees & the Trees. Apparently, according to these Beasts with their lies & twisted rotten words, it is we the Kin of the land that are responsible for this decimation... and so must be contained 'till death. Damn them. The Elves do not approve.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Plenty mixed woodland areas up here. You just have to know where they are. Accessing by canoe or kayak helps.
There are many coastal areas worth visiting too. And apart from Loch lomond East side, responsible access and camping is legal. You can't camp for more than 72hrs in one spot though.

mattc334

Aug 6, 2010
lancashire
Thanks for the advice scots-charles-river
Had not thought of the canoe, and seeing your pics have inspired me so will take it.
Can you give me any ideas were might be good to go in the southern end of Scotland as only have 2-3 days so do not want to spend them mostly driving
Also i am quite new to canoeing so would like somewhere relatively sheltered that i can stick close to the shore and have some good wild camp spots away from people .
Having fun planing, but some local knowledge would be useful.
Thanks for any advice
Matt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE