Scotland - Next week - Three days - Where do you recommend?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Hi all,

At short notice I've managed to get 12 days off work (need to use up spare days before end of my holiday year) and have been granted 3 days by SWMBO to wander off somewhere!! Yippee!

Decided to combine some wild camping with my motorbike and will be setting off from Windermere (probably on Thursday (11th) next week) with the intention of getting to John O Groats and back!!

Have been as far North as Skye before but never any further. I want nice roads, as remote as I can find for the camping, and would like to pass through Spean Bridge and ride down the side of Loch Ness.

I'd be grateful of any advice/suggestions as to decent roads / nice places to camp or suggested places to visit. Has any one else here taken a bike up to the top of Scotland?

First nights camping would probably be somewhere between Ullapool and the North coast depending on progress / weather. Any suggested remote spots? I have no plans for distance on second day so open to suggestions within 6 hours of John O Groats.
I'll add the pictures to this thread on my return.

Cheers,

:eek: Hope I don't live up to my forum name !!! :eek:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Glen Etive 1st night. 2nd night Arisaig, Morar then next night Skye via the car ferry to Armadale-Point of Sleat, maybe foot ferry over to Raasay. Rtn via Skye bridge then up to camp at Gruinard bay or Torridon.

Nick

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Turn off at Invergarry and head for Skye, after Kintail head north. From here the road rougly follows the coast all the way to John O Groats.
There's plenty of places for wild camping just pull off the road. My favourite bit of this route is Kinlochewe to Braemore Junction.
The road round to John O Groats is a bit dull after Tongue (compared to the previous scenery) ird head south from here back towards Inverness then you can head down Loch Ness. Have a nice trip.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
A nice way past the central belt without ending up in a city or on the A9 is:

B7076 from Gretna to Lesmahago. So much more fun than the motorway, watch out for speed traps around Lockerbie.
Onto the motorway briefly M74>M73>A80 then first exit off A80 and cut up to Lennoxtown.
Over the Campsies to Fintry. West to the A81 then North through the Trossachs up to the River Dochart. West to Crianlarach then onto the A82.

Not the quickest route but an entertaining ride.

alanssaab

Mar 16, 2008
wishaw
hehe groovski , the crow road , over the campsies , if in a hurry just batter up the motorway to stirling , you'll save at least an hour

Craigeam

Sep 3, 2005
Na H-Eileanan an Iar
If you are heading North from Kintail on the A896 its worth taking the time for a detour into Applecross, a few miles after Lochcarron take the road in over the hills then follow the road out round the coast to Shieldag. On a good day the route in over the Bealach na Ba (The Pass of the Cattle) is stunning and probably as close as you'll get to an Alpine pass in the UK.

Cheers

Donald

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE