Scary log splitter...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
That is literally so awesome, the ingenuity of some people eh! I don't know why everyone's so critical, the man's clearly an engineering genius!

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I hope you use it more safely than that numpty!
I have had some very close shaves over the years with using mine. It gets tiring when all day your just feeding big lumps of crosscut hardwoods through the splitter, corners cut and all that. Thankfully no injuries.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I have had some very close shaves over the years with using mine. It gets tiring when all day your just feeding big lumps of crosscut hardwoods through the splitter, corners cut and all that. Thankfully no injuries.

This guy seems to have it safety side sorted.

[video=youtube;2sluRp1g354]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sluRp1g354[/video]

Just uses his kids to feed the wood on ;)

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
This guy seems to have it safety side sorted.

[video=youtube;2sluRp1g354]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sluRp1g354[/video]

Just uses his kids to feed the wood on ;)
He has even removed the safety rail from the splitter, that stops the operator falling in and been augured round till the tractor runs out of diesel. That's also why we have big families out in the sticks, just don't know how long we can keep them alive :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
He needs to weld a work table Under the Auger so that the wood stays up in the air too - all that reaching in and around the auger is asking for trouble. Still, each to their own!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
My buddy cuts his firewood on something like this

Gunton%20circular%20saw%2028Set2003.jpg

No blade guard - all runs off an old Lister engine.

He's been doing it for years - scares the snot out of me - particularly when he talks to me over his shoulder whilst doing it!

He still has the right number of fingers though!

This isn't your buddy by any chance Hugh?

The way the guy is leaning on that log to push it through is another accident waiting to happen :yikes:

LINK HERE

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's actually pretty safe I reckon Dave - he's made a blade guard, he is using an offset handle and the chap moving the logs is using a pickaroon. I've seen a lot worse from people using a saw the conventional way :)

Do love the engineering though - especially the counter weight :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That's great! I'd love to have a god of that saw, but not the first one with the flying axe head, I like my hands ;).

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
That's actually pretty safe I reckon Dave - he's made a blade guard, he is using an offset handle and the chap moving the logs is using a pickaroon. I've seen a lot worse from people using a saw the conventional way :)

Indeed: if it weren't for the lack of hearing protection, you might almost mistake him for a normal person :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE