Scary log splitter...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Personally I think I'd have kept the handle on the axe...

[video=youtube;92ejWHlPLaE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ejWHlPLaE[/video]

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice bit of redneck engineering :)

I see worse round here every week - but the users are rarely known as "stumpy". Of course its as dangerous as hell - but I suspect the person in A&E will be the idiot who finds a cable with a power drill whilst "just putting up a shelf". A guy who welds his own hub is likely to understand how dodgy that is and treat it with care. Sounds odd but, when it comes to mad rednecks, the Devil looks after his own as a rule

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Loved the "I would recommend a kick-back shield" ! I would recommend not turning it on - the likely hood of an accident is huge. Still up to him. Entertaining post cheers.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
When I get me a wood burner I'm gonna weld me up one of them , hope the wife don't miss the engine out of her fiesta .

sure looks like a good way to wake you up real quick in the morning .

Craig. .......

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My buddy cuts his firewood on something like this

Gunton%20circular%20saw%2028Set2003.jpg

No blade guard - all runs off an old Lister engine.

He's been doing it for years - scares the snot out of me - particularly when he talks to me over his shoulder whilst doing it!

He still has the right number of fingers though!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aye but that's a saw, at least it's all one blade to be aware of, not a turning belt of a sharp edge that clearly sends the timber flying.
Never mind that it's a missing hand waiting to happen, I hope he's wearing a facemasked helmet :rolleyes: It only needs to skite off at an angle he doesn't catch once, and he's in a world of hurt.
Prize eejit.

Just because we can, doesn't always mean we should :sigh:

I spent a lot of time in small boatyards and joiner's and engineer's workshops, tools don't always come with guards, but that 'thing' is just glaikit.

If the timber balks were contained within some kind of frame and he'd used the motor to power a downwards blow with a rocket spike he'd get a quicker, and a much, much safer, result.

"Redneck engineering", that's a euphemism for oiling it with blood, is it ?

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
"Redneck engineering", that's a euphemism for oiling it with blood, is it ?

M

Weirdly they rarely do - which always amazes me.

Redneck engineering is standing in a free swinging JCB bucket with a running chainsaw in your hand "cos its quicker that way"...

Clearing mole runs with a roofing torch and piezo sparker.....(whummmmp)

We wont even mention clearing vermin using the bleach and...well you are old enough to know what gave off chlorine mixed that way!

Got to love a bit of redneck engineering :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Did I tell you the tale of my bother clearing a blocked cast iron drain pipe ( a soil pipe from a kitchen sink) with a homemade squib affair :rolleyes: His pipe bomb successfully excavated a trench deeper than the house foundations :rolleyes:
I now know what to call his occasional total obliviousness to the potential for things to go other than as planned :)

atb,

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Redneck engineering is standing in a free swinging JCB bucket with a running chainsaw in your hand "cos its quicker that way"...

How about two men in a tiny aluminium dinghy on a canal, one standing with a running chainsaw cutting a diseased tree that was leaning over the bank. :rolleyes:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Saw this one on youtube a few years ago, same thing basically.
[video=youtube;2bVAAx3mMKY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bVAAx3mMKY[/video]

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I now know what to call his occasional total obliviousness to the potential for things to go other than as planned :)

atb,

You call it "being manly" :)

[video=youtube;0V9YZ7C88iU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V9YZ7C88iU[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE