Scarpa Boots: Any good?

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
After my close encounter with liquid mud and damp feet, I am in the market for new boots.

A colleague of mine does a fair bit of hill/fell walking in all weathers and he swears by Scarpa.

His personal preference is the full leather/no liner style which he thens proofs with G-Wax.

I am tempted, especially as there is a Scarpa stockist not 5 minutes away from where I am now.

Does anyone have any direct experience to share of this brand?

Thanks in advance.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
No direct experience, but I do know that Scarpa are a very well respected brand. I tend to think of them as rugged winter boots, a bit heavier than some, but tough.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Thanks.

Looking at the range on their website they have a complete offer for all seasons. What I'm after is light trail/path but waterproof (as far as any boots can be).

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Scarpa boots are great in my opinion ,, had a few pairs now and seem to keep going back to them

Jason

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I wore Zamberlans for years, then bought a pair of Scarpa Sl's about 7 years ago (the 3-4 season unlined version) in the wide fitting. I've done well over 1200 miles in them and have very little room for criticism.

I can still wade to the cuff of the boot without getting bog-foot, as there are no seams to let water in.

If you walk in rain all day and splash through puddles, they are going to get damp. If I walk all day in them in the dry, they will completely dry out after a dunking. I reproof with Nikwax aqueous wax as it can be applied to wet leather and so I reproof after a couple of days of walking, especially on rocky ground where abrasion scrubs the wax off.

FWIW, the Sl's get bad press for not having a toe-rand. IME, they really don't need one. I have a few scuffs and gouges and it doesn't affect performance at all.

Good boots.

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
As Harvestman said, Scarpa are a well respected brand, I have owned a couple of pairs years ago, and they were very comfortable and lasted well. Like your friend I prefer leather boots as I feel they are more rugged and last longer than some of the fabric uppers.
I bought a pair of Meindl Burma pro gtx boots about a month ago to replace a pair of worn out Raichle boots.(if they still made the same Raichle model I would of bought them again, but I had them for 10 years).
At the time I tried a few pairs of Scarpa boots, and they all felt very comfortable, but what swayed me to the Meindl in the end was the quality of the finish. Some of the Scarpa's had excess glue that hadnt been cleaned up properly on the rand, and generally didnt look as well finished.(Just my opinion though).
These are my first pair of Meindl boots, I have probably covered about 80 miles in them and am very happy so far.(maybe I will live to regret it ?)
Reputation wise Scarpa & Meindl are probably fairly equal.
I got mine from Field & Trek in Betws y Coed, they were nearly £50 cheaper than Cotswolds & some other shops. They also have a huge range of boots there as well so you can try many different ones.
I dont know where you are based maybe Betws is too far, but there are other stores dotted around the country.

I hope I have been of some help.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
As Harvestman said, Scarpa are a well respected brand, I have owned a couple of pairs years ago, and they were very comfortable and lasted well. Like your friend I prefer leather boots as I feel they are more rugged and last longer than some of the fabric uppers.
I bought a pair of Meindl Burma pro gtx boots about a month ago to replace a pair of worn out Raichle boots.(if they still made the same Raichle model I would of bought them again, but I had them for 10 years).
At the time I tried a few pairs of Scarpa boots, and they all felt very comfortable, but what swayed me to the Meindl in the end was the quality of the finish. Some of the Scarpa's had excess glue that hadnt been cleaned up properly on the rand, and generally didnt look as well finished.(Just my opinion though).
These are my first pair of Meindl boots, I have probably covered about 80 miles in them and am very happy so far.(maybe I will live to regret it ?)
Reputation wise Scarpa & Meindl are probably fairly equal.
I got mine from Field & Trek in Betws y Coed, they were nearly £50 cheaper than Cotswolds & some other shops. They also have a huge range of boots there as well so you can try many different ones.
I dont know where you are based maybe Betws is too far, but there are other stores dotted around the country.

I hope I have been of some help.

Thanks for the feedback everyone; it looks like I shall have to go and try some Scarpas.

Perrari: I am nowhere near Betws now but I know the shop well. I used to commute to Anglesey every weekend and drove through there most Friday nights at about 10.30. Shame they didn't do late night opening!

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Scarpas are good... I've had a couple of pairs some SL Attaks and a pair of Mantas...

It seems to be getting quite hard to find an all leather boot without a GTX lining or something these days.

I'd also vouch for Meindl and Lowa and also Aku....

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
My Mantas seem to be indestructible. Had them 5 years and they look almost new.
Extremely good kit. Maybe a bit heavy though : depends what you are used to.
Cheers , Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE