Scandinavian outdoor fire rules?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
I'd be grateful for any clarification on these rules by some of our knowledgable Noggins :)

I'll be camping in Norway and Sweden this July with my Tentipi Varrie 7 and one of their Fireboxes.

The Maxi Firebox is the one on the left...

firebox.jpg

I understand that there's no open fires allowed between April & September, I just wondered if a fire in a fire box, inside the tent would be acceptable?

We will mainly be wild camping in the more remote areas, as opposed to using campsites.

Any help greatfully received :)

ddokkum

Forager
Feb 16, 2007
The Netherlands
I was in Sweden last year around the same period, my wife and I did a remote wilderness kanoe trip. And we also were told not to make any campfires in forrest areas but it was okay at the banks of the many lakes where we stopped and camped at. The danger is when the fire goes in the underlayer of ground where it can go on for a couple of days and finaly gets fire and then sets a complete forrest in fire. We did however see a lot of burned down sections of forrest.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Sweden is a big place... I would doubt they have a blanket ban on fires.

As with many activities all over the world, there are local restrictions. As was mentioned before usually on lake shores or directly on bedrock would be ok but some national parks/reserves may well have restrictions.

It is best to check the area you are travelling to.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
anthonyyy said:
Please correct me if I am wrong but in Sweden, aren't fires forbidden at the moment?

Certainly the Varmland area will have a ban on at the moment, however, they are not unreasonable people and if you can show that you need a fire, have full control over it and have sited it in an appropriate place then you are unlikely to upset anybody over there.
Do keep it as small as possible though and choose what you burn to create minimum smoke.
I know the head of the SaR team in the Varmland area and he has told me several times that because there is a fire ban on in the summer, having too much smoke visable "can" trigger a SaR team callout due to the fact that they are not expecting to see smoke.

Before I set out I always advice him that I will be there (most of the land round there belongs to him and it's only polite to let him know I'll be on it) and be having fires and as he knows me and has trained me he is fine with that.

I cannot speak for the rest of Sweden or other parts of Scandinavia as I am not too sure.

Hope that helps,

Bam. :D

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
Cheers Bam - seems like common sense is the order of the day!

The fire would be contained within the fire box, within the tent - no chance of excessive smoke or it getting out of control.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE