Scam websites

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
If you get scammed on some bushy goods, how about telling us here?

I just ordered a Fjallraven Anorak from: www.projectiris.co.uk

Complete scam. Didnt realise until they sent me a receipt with a phone number on it, and upon copying and pasting and googling the phone number, it appeared under a number of other websites, which had been recognised as scam sites. [Selling other luxury items such as watches]

Always best to buy on a credit card as you will be covered under the consumer credit act thankfully. So I should be re-imbursed after the the fraud division look into it.

:(

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
When there is a registered trading address provided, Google that as well. Another hallmark of suspect websites is the use of shared or serviced offices, Google's street view feature also comes in handy.

The 'Who Is' lookup as per usual yields nothing really useful, domain registration details are an industry joke at best.
On the flipside the web host was quite chatty..

Dates
Created on 2016-06-16 - Expires on 2017-06-16 - Updated on 2016-06-16
IP Address 5.255.61.171 - 16 other sites hosted on this server
IP Location
nl.gif
- Drenthe - Meppel - Inter Net Bilgisayar Turizm Tic Ltd Sti
ASN
nl.gif
AS197328 INETLTD , TR (registered Oct 02, 2012)
Whois History 10 records have been archived since 2014-11-30

Sixteen very similar websites on a dedicated server... OK that's definitely Hinky. Not illegal per se but a little suspect.
If the goods don't turn up I would probably avoid using any of these websites below as well.

artrix-tickets.co.uk
freightvision.co.uk
ipv6news.co.uk
orwellwasright.co.uk
projectiris.co.uk
scrweddingplanner.co.uk
soapboxpress.co.uk
billigmarkenschuhe.de
3chaussuresligne.com

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
When going on a new retail website, check the 'contact us' or 'returns information' pages, if there's no physical address, shop elsewhere. As part of the Consumer Contracts Regulations (which replaced the Distance Selling Regulations) they must provide a geographical address http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations

And if they do have an address, worth searching in google maps to see where they're supposedly working from.

Edit: Ah see Bishop made the point already :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thankyou for that Bishop, it was very helpful. Reported to action fraud city of london police this morning, and my bank. I dont know how you find that info.

They sent me a rag from china this morning, presumably to try and cover themselves and prove postage. B******S

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE