Sawyer pre filter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Has anyone made a pre filter for their sawyer mini? Am thinking something to keep out the big lumpy bits when filling the pouch ready to filter it?

Thanks

Julia

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Not yet but i have been thinking along those lines too if having to use particularly dirty water like when a river is in flood.

1 - Possibly putting a tiny bit of fine mesh over the input nipple and holding it in place by pushing a tiny bit of tube over both it and the nipple, the tube only needs to be a couple of centimetres as all it does is hold the mesh on the nipple. (the mesh could perhaps be a bit cut off a cloth jelly bag strainer or something similar ?)

2 - Alternatively push a tiny bit of tube over the input nipple first then fix a piece of fine mesh over the tube only.

I like the first idea best as it is simpler to hold the mesh in place by pushing the tube over it. Only concern is just how much the flow would be reduced.

Some similar ideas here:- http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...ums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=89679

1396881922_102585.jpg

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
15064566450_e5ce175e9e_b.jpg
[/URL]DSCF1865 by turnerminator, on Flickr[/IMG]

Inline paper petrol filter; backflushable, doesn't impede flow, 99p. I can go a week easy, treating reasonably clean water, before the inline needs a backflush as opposed to a few days without. 4 years using one like this.

The paper medium cleans up perfectly with some Milton or similar when back home.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Put a peice of nylon pop sock over the container being filled, it will filter before going in, so clean to filter out.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Is there a way to attach something to the outflow that could hold some Activated Carbon?

You can make em or you cam buy something like the katadyn

http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-Replacement-Carbon-Cartridge/dp/B002IAML02

I hope britta come up with something like this soon. I have gone off anything that filters / kills bugs because of the uncertainty. They do reccomen the use of water chemicals, but what's the point of that if your filter states it kills them.

Sorry julia.

The easiest prefilter must be at the collection point. Life systems used to provide a piece of dense cotton sewn into the shape of a cone sort of like a mini millbank. The cone shape made the water run off at the tip. Very clever little thing!

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have a Katadyn Combi but it's quite a beast and still needs extra Virus protection to be 100%. I'm thinking a small AC attachment for the Sawyer mini would kill 2 birds while leaving Virus filtering an option while in a still very compact package?

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I have a Katadyn Combi but it's quite a beast and still needs extra Virus protection to be 100%. I'm thinking a small AC attachment for the Sawyer mini would kill 2 birds while leaving Virus filtering an option while in a still very compact package?

2.08 ozes isn't that big, this plugs into the line on the hydration pack, chemicals kill the bugs, and the charcoal filterdoes the chemicals/metals/taste, and it's 100% reliable without boiling.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Cheers everyone for the replies, lots of interesting stuff. I notice how most seem to concentrate on pre filtering on the filter, not prefiltering on the filling of the pouch that you then filter...

Cheers

J

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Isn't this exactly what a Millbank (or similar) bag does? Filters out the large (by bug standards!) bits of detritus in the water before putting into filtering system, whatever it is...

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Isn't this exactly what a Millbank (or similar) bag does? Filters out the large (by bug standards!) bits of detritus in the water before putting into filtering system, whatever it is...

Yes, and no. I have a millbank bag[1], but it's not exactly something you can easily use on the move. With the sawyer I can fill up the pouch with water to filter and filter it on the go direct into my mouth, or in seconds into a bottle. With a millbank bag you have to soak it in the water, then let some of it drip out, then have a big enough pot to collect the untreated water in, then pour that into the pouch, which you can then filter... and after that you still have a wet piece of canvas to put in your pack. Yes it works, but it's not ideal.

J

[1] Actually a bilbank bag from Bilmo-p5 of this parish

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
With the sawyer I can fill up the pouch with water to filter and filter it on the go direct into my mouth...

Even with the best filters in the world, it makes me cringe to think of someone drinking directly from the device.

Most products on the market are rejected for military/aircrew use due to potential catastrophic failure points, or are not idiot-proof, or simply because there is no 'fail to safe' or any form of contact period or soak period.

I've looked these Sawyer filters and while they look good on paper, there are too many in-use points where things could horribly wrong :)

Or could it be that I simply haven't given it a chance yet?

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
Even with the best filters in the world, it makes me cringe to think of someone drinking directly from the device.

Most products on the market are rejected for military/aircrew use due to potential catastrophic failure points, or are not idiot-proof, or simply because there is no 'fail to safe' or any form of contact period or soak period.

I've looked these Sawyer filters and while they look good on paper, there are too many in-use points where things could horribly wrong :)

Or could it be that I simply haven't given it a chance yet?

What concerns do you have? My current and the only issue that I perceive with my gravity-fed system, is how to isolate the dirty from the clean end during transportation...

I can pm you the email address of the MD of Sawyer Europe if you want, he seems like a very pleasant chap, and was happy to discuss my requirements.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Put a peice of nylon pop sock over the container being filled, it will filter before going in, so clean to filter out.

I notice how most seem to concentrate on pre filtering on the filter, not prefiltering on the filling of the pouch that you then filter

I like the idea above by Damascus :) it seems simpler and better to pre-filter the bottle/pouch being filled instead of the filter itself, thanks for suggestion Damascus i like it and will adopt a version of it, think i'll just use a small bit of filter material held over the opening with a bit of cut off inner tube acting like an elastic band to keep it in place (inner tube lasts longer and more durable than an elastic band, filter material something like a bit of nylon jelly bag strainer, nylon dries quick and don't rot like cotton)

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
What concerns do you have? My current and the only issue that I perceive with my gravity-fed system, is how to isolate the dirty from the clean end during transportation...

I can pm you the email address of the MD of Sawyer Europe if you want, he seems like a very pleasant chap, and was happy to discuss my requirements.

I have some Katadyn kit and other foolproof kit, want a Lifesaver Cube for the canoe. That's me sorted, but thanks anyway :)

I spend some of my working life listening to the sales pitch of various companies, they are all great at what they do but won't publicise the negative aspects of their products. And there are loads of negatives out there, as I mentioned.

The Sawyer kit looks good, but it's not for me, I know it's good kit and effective for loads of folk, but not for me. This thread is great to find the 'cheat sheet' but for me personally, as a professional user who depends on foolproof gear, I'm sorted.

Anything that needs heavy modding or a cheat sheet probably won't find itself in my pack out :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE