sawdust tinder??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Sawdust is difficult to burn because when in a pile it can not get enough oxygen to sustain the flame.

I would imagine it will take a spark, but will go out quickly.

Give it a go and let us know!

Simon

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
Not sure, I often use shavings from handplanes as they work quite well.
But i have not tried sawdust, it will depend upon the species and the dryness of the dust. Of couse fine dust mixed with air can be explosive so I guess it may work.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
It is high in resin but is a pain to use. The slightest breeze and it is gone.

You are better off buying maya sticks and making fine shavings. These takes a spark like a dream. I have been using the same pack of sticks for about 2 years and still have plenty left!

Simon

stewpot

On a new journey
Dec 26, 2008
cheshire
It is high in resin but is a pain to use. The slightest breeze and it is gone.

You are better off buying maya sticks and making fine shavings. These takes a spark like a dream. I have been using the same pack of sticks for about 2 years and still have plenty left!

Simon

You don't need anymore then. In UK it cost about £3 a packet, I can buy in Mexico, same amount, as sticks, for about 35p if you wanted any.
Everybody uses it over here. Its a beautiful tree, the Ocote, shame in some areas they have disappeared they use it that much.

stew

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use wood dust and old oil mix - works fine!
I keep it in a sealed container,and use about 1 tablespoonful as a fire starter.
The oil burns from the dust - like a wick I guess - and then the dust glows away happily

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I have had success with the drilling "swarth" from around live knots found in pine used for carcassing work on building sites. Due to its resin content it lights readily and a teaspoon full will burn for around two to three minutes. Check out a skip near you there is sure to be some knotty offcuts in there to play with. ;-)

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
It depends what kind of wood its from but yeh

Plane machine shavings work OK as they have a bit more air in them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE