Saw some helicopters this morning,(PIC HEAVY)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Seen a few chinooks before. Some piece of equipment that is. A year ago we kept seeing a chinook flying over and around the castle in Lancaster. Not sure what it was doing but it wasn't much higher than the houses. We cld see the houses up the hill over the too of it. If you know,Lancaster the hill with the castle on isn't that high so the chinook must have a gd reason to fly so low. Was noisy at times when hovering or moving slowly. Some helo I think.
Is there's any helicopter experts what types are out there without a tail rotor. Seriously, I saw one that had what looked like two tubes on a planes tail wings instead of the rotor. Wasn't too far away so wld see any rotor, plus the way the tail was any rotor wld not be possible because of the wing there.
Btw which is bigger, seaking, merlin (is that the eh 101?) Or that,other SAR helicopter I've forgotten the name of??

B

Bighund

Very cool. Would love to have a go in an Apache even though I wouldn't have a clue what to do!

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Brings back memories, I have flown in a lot of them.

Can anyone guess what I am using in this Puma, in Belize.

p499365559.jpg

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...Is there's any helicopter experts what types are out there without a tail rotor. Seriously, I saw one that had what looked like two tubes on a planes tail wings instead of the rotor. Wasn't too far away so wld see any rotor, plus the way the tail was any rotor wld not be possible because of the wing there.

There are quite a few. Some are used as air ambulances, they have an aft door for a stretcher and it's safer to work around the door because there's no tail rotor. The MD520N for example uses an air blower in the tail boom to force air down over the boom on one side. That creates a sideways aerodynamic lift on the boom which does what a tail rotor would do when hovering. The tail rotor generally is less important in forward flight, the flow of air over the shape of the aircraft tends to point the nose into the wind. The vertical fins on the aircraft you saw just help that a bit.

Btw which is bigger, seaking, merlin (is that the eh 101?) Or that,other SAR helicopter I've forgotten the name of??

Merlin wa renamed a while back. Sea King has a similar rotor diameter, but the Merlin is heavier empty than the Sea King is when fully loaded:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westland_Sea_King
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AgustaWestland_AW101

I don't know which one you've forgotten the name of. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE