Saw and thought i'd share

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
white-trash-repairs-the-kludgers-kamp-stove.jpg

:cool:

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Made one about a month ago to try out in the garden, Ray Mears made one in one of his programmes.
I had a very dry pine log that had been in the shed for a while. Boiled a pan of potatoes, and fried some mushrooms on it whilst the meat was cooking on the barbecue.
Not very practical in the bush though , unless you happen to have a chainsaw with you. I have never used one of those pocket chainsaws, so dont know how much hard work it would be using one of them.

Eifion

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Good Idea, didnt think of that ! I suppose you could also tie the base of the split log together as well ? The way the weather is going we'll probably get some snow soon so I can try it out.

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
Here is a practical variant of the Swedish fire torch, for when you don't have a chainsaw or axe with you.

[video=youtube;kFKzvWDeiFc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFKzvWDeiFc[/video]

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Here is a practical variant of the Swedish fire torch, for when you don't have a chainsaw or axe with you.

[video=youtube;kFKzvWDeiFc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFKzvWDeiFc[/video]

I love this guys videos - so practical. You just want to go out and try them out immediately!

Gray1100

May 4, 2010
UK
Fantastic post, seen these and wondered if they really work.
Never tried one but want to now.
Thanks.

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
You can also sharpen the ends of the stakes with an axe and bang em in the ground. No need for ties.

Well there's another string to my bow. I might never use that tip, or it might save my bottom one day. Either way thank you, and thank you to our friend who posted the video.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
I have been trying to figure out for a while now where the origin of this tool lies, and I heard allot of thing about Finland, being used allot in the second WW and heard some Swedish claims I even heard some rumors about it being started in the taiga, does anyone have some more info on the origins of the marvelous piece of bushcraft engineering?
Yours sincerely Ruud

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I have been trying to figure out for a while now where the origin of this tool lies, and I heard allot of thing about Finland, being used allot in the second WW and heard some Swedish claims I even heard some rumors about it being started in the taiga, does anyone have some more info on the origins of the marvelous piece of bushcraft engineering?

Finland and Sweden (mostly) being part of the boreal or taiga forest, we can probably say that part of the myth is true! In Finnish language this kind of torch is known as jätkänkynttilä, jätkä ("guy") being a nickname for Finnish timbermen and kynttilä meaning a candle. Supposedly the first were made in Northern Finland when the first chainsaws arrived there during the 1950s. This is probably true as non of my Finnish Defence Forces manuals or combat reports from the Second World War make any references to the torch.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Wow Thanks for that bit of info Martti that will go great in my documentairy.
But you guys all think that the sawn version was before the split version? Cause somewhere a lil voice inside my head say, there must have been a predecessor in the times before? but I can see how it would be entirely unlogical to see this born with the coming of the chainsaw.
A million thanks
Yours sincerely Ruud

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
But you guys all think that the sawn version was before the split version? Cause somewhere a lil voice inside my head say, there must have been a predecessor in the times before? but I can see how it would be entirely unlogical to see this born with the coming of the chainsaw.

The most primitive version of the torch is so called kantotuli ("tree stump fire"). Probably from this form one Aaro Raappana of Lapland developed an early version of the jätkänkynttilä now called Raappanan tuli ("Raappana's fire") during the 1930-1950s. Raappanan tuli is made by simply splitting a log in half.

Photograph of kantotuli from Suomenmuseotonline.fi
lres_59808.jpg

Photograph of Raappanan tuli from http://www.vastavalo.fi/nuotio-halkaistu-puu-raappanan-tuli-209270.html

normal_orivesi09_267.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE