Saving important posts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Is there a way to save a post so it is easily found and accessible in the future?

For an individual post that's got info I would like to retain I have a running Word document. I just cut and paste the post at the end of that document with a meaningful title added. It retains the links (as long as they last). That way I'm not relying on anybody else to retain the information for me. There have been a few tutorials that I have saved that way all in the same Word document.

Depending on how people have inserted photographs you may need to copy them individually unfortunately.

If it really is worth keeping I think it's worth saving it yourself

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
A post, or a whole thread? Save it off-forum, or mark it in forum for finding later? Using a forum based method, or something within your internet browser (Chrome, Internet Explorer, Edge, Firefox, Safari, etc)? Saving text only, or pictures as well?

Off- Forum
Posts are easy as text, as Broch describes. It is even possible to use a screen grab program to copy the pictures to paste in so they are there with the post.

Threads are more difficult. You can copy and past them, but usually the format goes all over the place and the result looks nothing like the original thread, even if you have managed to get all the text and photos. You can "print" to PDF, either using something inbuilt to your computer (Windows 10 has this) or something you have downloaded, like CutePDF Writer. This is better than pasting to Word (or other word processor) but will force the thread into paper size chunks, which can break up rather oddly when there are a lot of photos, or they are large.

Saving the thread using Save As will have mixed results depending upon the browser used. I only know about Chrome and Internet Explorer. For saving threads, my experience has been that Chrome is useless. The system is that you get an HTM file and a folder of the same name in which all the images from the thread are stored, the HTM then uses the contents of the folder to make the thread look right. Opening said file in my Chrome and it is a mess, looks nothing like the original. Save As Complete Webpage using IE and the result, when opened in either IE or Chrome, looks like the original, or near enough to make me happy.

Save As in IE also gives the option to save as "Web Archive - Single File" as a .mht file. This gets rid of having to manage a bulky folder full of all the pictures and icons, but the resulting file can only be opened by IE, not by Chrome.

Other browsers may offer different options and have different incompatibilities.

Finally, you can use a browsers in-built system

In Forum
About all you can do is "Watch Thread".

In Browser
You can add the page, or the post, to your Favourites, Bookmarks, or Reading List, depending on what program you are accessing the forum through. This is how I used to do things, back when the internet was young. I had a great list of bookmarks organised by the Forum name that they linked to.

All have advantages and disadvantages, depending on what you want to achieve, and what of the source you are trying to preserve.

Chris

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I sometimes want to be able to access a members post, if it contains info I like to have, easily available in the future!

And thank you for your info!

Last edited:

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Simply comment in the thread and include a word that will be easy to search for but not often used like "Ftumch".

Z

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If everyone were to do that, the result would be a heck of a mess, and I would not want to guarantee that the mods would not just wade in and clear all the non-contributing "search word" posts.

Reactions: Mr Wolf

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
If everyone were to do that, the result would be a heck of a mess, and I would not want to guarantee that the mods would not just wade in and clear all the non-contributing "search word" posts.
Not if its hidden in plain sight and recondite.
Its not forced to be a none contributing post is it?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The best way I've found for me is to drop it into my browser links. The word to search is an interesting one, It should work and as long as just a few people do it now and then it shouldn't clutter too much. I can imagine the reported posts - Member XX is posting gobbledygook, please destroy their membership... :D

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Meanwhile, on another thread...
https://bushcraftuk.com/community/i...er-watch-paint-dry.150361/page-3#post-1869784

Never understood why they have a totally different attacking and defensive lineup.
Makes one apprichiate a well balanced rugby side

:D Does the man who suggested using abstruse, arcane, or recondite words in one-liner posts to help find threads in the Search function appreciate the difference between rugby and "football", or does he "apprichiate" so that he doesn't have to book-mark the thread? :poke:

Wasnt my idea...and i really dont think that has relevance here.
Or is a mods job on here to point out typos and start personal attacks on people.

Yup, you got it, those are both part of the job description, way down in the fine print on page 12. Most mods take it only as a ceremonial part of the role though, to be rolled out just for rare special occasions.

Seriously though, I was only joking, thinking that you were having some fun. You posted here, disagreeing with me, then soon after you replied to me in another thread with a long word that seemed to fit what was suggested here. I thought you were doing it to see if I would notice, maybe to make a point of your own, and I replied...
That wasn't an attack on you.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Not sure what that has to do with my post and query, C-clay, but you did one thing I have tried but failed to do: How on Earth do you lift one or more posts from a thread and publish it in another?
Or lift posts from several threads and post in one??

As you can understand by now, I am fine in the Arctic forests, but have absolutely zero knowledge about computers!!!
:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE