Sausages in lard

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I have seen these for 4 cans for a Quid ............but calling them pork sausages i think is pushing it a bit ..Exactly what bit of the pig are they using !!!!!! I shudder to think

Jason

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
I have seen these for 4 cans for a Quid ............but calling them pork sausages i think is pushing it a bit ..Exactly what bit of the pig are they using !!!!!! I shudder to think

Jason

Wasn't it Chevvy Chase who said hot dogs are made from "...Lips and a**holes..". You have your answer, sir.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Tasty Hmmmm. UK law is actually pretty strict on what can and can't go in to a banger.

39p, taste OK, your fried eggs taste good cooked in lard, lots of energy...buy them or don't , makes a nice change from instant oats.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Tasty Hmmmm. UK law is actually pretty strict on what can and can't go in to a banger.

39p, taste OK, your fried eggs taste good cooked in lard, lots of energy...buy them or don't , makes a nice change from instant oats.

Yeah, jokes aside I'd imagine these would make a pretty good emergency food stuff. High fat = high energy. I'm not much of a prepper, but I've been known to keep things like that in the back of my car.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
One of the American stove collectors has sent me some American food over the years including a case of Twinky bars and several tubs of 'grits', I liked the grits. Make it thick and fry off in bacon fat :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah they're kinda bland on their own. Fry 'em off like you describe is great though. Or with loads of butter and salt. Or cheese. LOL. Anything really; they'll soak up whatever flavor you care to add.

Donny732

Nov 25, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the UK is pretty awful when it comes to what can go into sausages. In the UK, Pork Sausages only need to be 42% meat, and the EU Directive 2001/101/EC says that pork sold can only be up to 30% fat and 25% connective tissue. That means that something labelled Pork Sausage could have as little as 18.9% lean pork meat.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the UK is pretty awful when it comes to what can go into sausages. In the UK, Pork Sausages only need to be 42% meat, and the EU Directive 2001/101/EC says that pork sold can only be up to 30% fat and 25% connective tissue. That means that something labelled Pork Sausage could have as little as 18.9% lean pork meat.

Yep, pretty good compared to other countries. I think the 30% or less have to be labeled Sausage type or economy? Something like that. Sausage is just a way of using up odd bits of meat and fat you have left over after slaughter and butchering so even the 'best' won't be full of fillet beef or loin of pork. There was a programme on TV about burgers and sausage, and Donna kebabs which was interesting. My local butcher makes sausages, they are really nice, high meat content and expensive and he uses pork shoulder but they taste nice. Get a can of sausage for 39p what do you expect? I'd not eat them at home but they are really good for camping. Meat is meat, enjoy :)

Sent from my S2 without tapatalk

Donny732

Nov 25, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Yep, pretty good compared to other countries.

Not great compared to other EU countries, to be honest. The limits on what can be called meat are EU-wide rules, but other countries have stricter labeling definitions. Outside the EU, all bets are off. As you say, though, for 39p, you know it's not going to be the butcher's finest.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE