Satsumas!!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well I thought Huricane Isaac had destroyed the satsuma crop for this year (at least the good ones from Louisiana) But on my recent trip to Mississippi I found several fruit stands with them. And precious few more when I returned to Florida. My stash is almost gone now though. Unfortunately they're highly seasonal and I rarely get them any more. Definitely not like I used to growing up.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The only area suitable to grow them here is the Gulf areas of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Western Florida. Out of that, the only places they're actually grown are Eatern Louisiana Gulf and the Alabama Gulf panhandle.

Difficult to import as they really don't travel well and rot quickly.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just munched one :D
It's kind of our season for a glut of them; oranges/tangerines/satsumas/mandarines; they just smell sort of Christmassy.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The only area suitable to grow them here is the Gulf areas of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Western Florida. Out of that, the only places they're actually grown are Eatern Louisiana Gulf and the Alabama Gulf panhandle.

Difficult to import as they really don't travel well and rot quickly.

They don't grow in the UK but by heavens we import tonnes of them. Not that expensive either. The net bag I opened earlier had nine in it and it cost a £. Can't complain about that.
Lidl's had a small greengrocers box of them for sale, still with green leaves on, for £2.99.
For some reason oranges can be expensive though :dunno:

M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
They don't grow in the UK but by heavens we import tonnes of them. Not that expensive either. The net bag I opened earlier had nine in it and it cost a £. Can't complain about that.
Lidl's had a small greengrocers box of them for sale, still with green leaves on, for £2.99.....

I paid $5 for each 3 pound net bag I bought in Mississippi. The ones I got here were 44 cents each!

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I suppose that the States wouldn't import citrus fruit because of their plant disease precautions.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I suppose that the States wouldn't import citrus fruit because of their plant disease precautions.

No; we do import fruit and other produce (mostly from Mexico, South America, or the Caribean) Just never seen satsumas imported; or even spread to states far beyond the areas where we grow them along the Gulf.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Satsumas don't travel well?

My mate Toru is from Satsuma, Kagoshima and he's been all over the World!

In fact, the wee diddy oranges he sends have been perfect when they arrived. :D

In Japan they're called kan, what we know of as mandarin oranges are called mikan.

Liam

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Satsumas don't travel well?

My mate Toru is from Satsuma, Kagoshima and he's been all over the World!

In fact, the wee diddy oranges he sends have been perfect when they arrived. :D

In Japan they're called kan, what we know of as mandarin oranges are called mikan.

Liam

Perhaps I'm mistaken then. But ours certainly don't travel well. Like most citrus (and fruit in general i suppose) they're best eaten fresh picked from the tree. Even the ones that we do ship never go more than a few counties away. As I've never really had a bruised one, I suspect it's more to the fact that they spoil so quickly (they dry develop a funus within a week of being picked)

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Perhaps I'm mistaken then. But ours certainly don't travel well. Like most citrus (and fruit in general i suppose) they're best eaten fresh picked from the tree. Even the ones that we do ship never go more than a few counties away. As I've never really had a bruised one, I suspect it's more to the fact that they spoil so quickly (they dry develop a funus within a week of being picked)

I'd imagine its a lot hotter where you are and they'll be ready and ripen sooner and spoil quicker too.

The South of Japan is probably far cooler Santaman2K and the rate of ripening/decay is slower in comparison, maybe Toru picks them before they are ready and they ripen en route?

Liam

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'd imagine its a lot hotter where you are and they'll be ready and ripen sooner and spoil quicker too.

The South of Japan is probably far cooler Santaman2K and the rate of ripening/decay is slower in comparison, maybe Toru picks them before they are ready and they ripen en route?

Liam

Possibly true. But I don't understand why the rest of our citrus doesn't do the same. Oranges, tangerines, lemons, limes, grapefruit, etc. all get shipped far and wide year round.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE