SASS Ventile Smock Mod

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I bought an SASS 'improved ventile' :confused: smock a couple of weeks ago. From Paul in Lancaster.

It was the last one they had, and luckily it was my size. The smock is double layered on the hood, shoulders, elbows, and storm flap. Has an inside zipped pocket and a poachers pocket at the back.

Ventile smocks seem prone to wear, and hailing from Yorkshire I wanted to get my moneys worth....:eek:

So after buying some Earth L24 Ventile from Ian, [bilmo-p5]

I had a local dressmaker add double ventile to the cuffs, the hem, and also on the inside across the back, where the waist drawstring pulls through. Using a double lapped felled seam.

Then I had her add a double flap on the brim of the hood, under which I'll be sewing some buttons, and adding a coyote fur ruff.

Im quite pleased with the result. It look's less military, and was still a bit cheaper than buying a brand new Snowsled/Westwinds etc.

Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to use it in one of the upcoming BCUK Arctic Expedition's.

New Image.jpgPA302093.jpgPA302092.jpg

I'll be sewing on the buttons for the fur ruff meself, and may also add brass eyelets to the button holes, and change the drawstring to paracord.

Not completely DIY, but still pretty Cool, I think.

Attachments

• PA302089.jpg
    PA302089.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 84
  • PA302094.jpg
    PA302094.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thanks fellas. I think I'd make a good extra if they ever did a remake of Alistair Macleans 'Bear Island' :rolleyes:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well, finished sewing the buttons on last night.

The flap folds over the buttons, when you detach the coyote ruff.

4.jpg

A strip of black webbing is stitched to the hide, with button holes cut at regular intervals. The final button is attached to the nylon strip, to secure under the chin.

PA312107.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 698
Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE