Sapwn in the grass

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I was out walking the dog a week ot two ago and saw this frog spawn (one of qite a few around) and was wondering whether the frogs had been eaten or was it something else that caused it. I have seen spawn on the ground with bits of the animal where Herons had eaten toads but this different

Spawn1.jpg

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've seen the same in previous years. I've asked 'experts' in the past that have been unable to give me a good reason why it happens. I think it's a premature spawning brought on by an early false spring but, because it's not time yet, the necessary mates aren't around; but that doesn't explain why it's not in water unless the water is still too cold.

We're only about a week or maybe two from when I expect a full spawning in our pond.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I've seen the same in previous years. I've asked 'experts' in the past that have been unable to give me a good reason why it happens. I think it's a premature spawning brought on by an early false spring but, because it's not time yet, the necessary mates aren't around; but that doesn't explain why it's not in water unless the water is still too cold..

I have had that as an explanation on another froum but stated as aborted spawn due false spring.
The photo is from 26/01/09 I think

I expected to see spawn very soon as the weather has gone mild again

It is not mould or other such things either.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
What was interesting with the specimen I found, and looking closely at your photo maybe true of your sample, is the true egg is not inside the jelly but in clusters outside it. It's strange but appears to be frequent.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Too scientific for me HillBill but sounds convincing :)

:D

It means (in human terms) that the egg doesn't enter the womb, but attaches itself outside of it in the falopian tube, and grows there. Not good to state the obvious.

I don't even know if a frog or toad could have this happen. My thinking is the eggs don't enter the spawn (individual wombs) and cluster outside of them but still within the main womb. the frog or toad knows there is a problem and sheds the spawn to maybe have another go.

Like i said, thats just my thoughts. I do not have any definitive answer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE