Sap Tapping

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've a question :D

if one is tapping a reasonable sized tree could one put in multiple taps? You could have say 3 tubes going into a bottle, as long as they're conscientiously bunged afterwards to prevent infection it should still be fine for the tree.

It would triple the flow as one area would not impact on another as the sap is rising all around....

Anyone done this or thought of it?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I read that you could put in two to three taps with no problems on a large tree, but to leave any future visits to that tree for three to four years.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
is it that simple? Ive no idea either way but if the pressure from the sap rising can be treated as a constant pressure at a set epoch then when you drill multiple holes would you get twice as much or becouse the pressure is lower as there are now multiple holes the sap that each holes gives out is less than a single hole on one tree. How much a difference this would make if it was the case my be quite high or so minimal you wouldnt notice it. Just a thought.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
No idea - but there is plenty of debating time till we can test it out anyway:rolleyes:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The yield does increase and there is no discernable pressure difference. The ethics of such a tap are contentious to say the least.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
ethics are always contentious

Have you tired this way on birch?

I've done a double tap on birch, well, triple but it had two trunks. I used my demijon bung method on them....

21Feb20092.jpg

21Feb20093.jpg

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
But never the rubber strip method (not sure what else to call it)?
It would be intresting to see - i may leave some standards for the spring and see. I expect it will only really work well with younger trees before the bark becomes too raised

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I really can't see how the pressure can be effected, it's not like a balloon, the structure is fairly integral and the system works all the way around the tree, sap rises all the way around, as long as the wound isn't too damaging then on a good size tree I doubt there would be any lasting damage and no real detriment to the tree from loss of sap.

However, i don't know for sure :D

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I really can't see how the pressure can be effected, it's not like a balloon, the structure is fairly integral and the system works all the way around the tree, sap rises all the way around, as long as the wound isn't too damaging then on a good size tree I doubt there would be any lasting damage and no real detriment to the tree from loss of sap.

However, i don't know for sure :D

It certainly doesn't affect the pressure. I've been tapping trees with this method for about 11 years and all are still standing and strong. There was a thread a couple of months ago decrying this method and it got me worried so I have checked loads of the trees I tapped and found them all to be fine. I'm tempted to rebore a hole in one of the plugss I've put in to see the internal damage. I'll update you on that in the next few days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE