Sanitising Hydration Bladders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Be honest with me.
I have a hydration bladder that I have not used in a couple of years. At least.
When it was put away it would have been given a clean and left to dry.

Would you use it again after all that time in storage?

I will give it a clean and sterilise it.
But there's a little bit of me (well, more than a little) that wonders if all the nooks and crannies will be clean enough, especially the mouth piece. I will fill it with water and add a couple of sterilisation tabs, and run it through, and leave the mouth piece immersed in a tub of water that also has a sterilisation tab in it.

Do you think that will be enough?
I know, rationally, that sounds OK, but be honest with me - would you still use it?

This was always the problem I had with hydration bladders (particularly the tube and mouth piece) - keeping them clean and sanitary between uses.
Yes, I could replace the tube and mouthpiece. But that's not an option because I need it for tomorrow.
So it's either use it or not use it.
What d'ya reckon?

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Yeah soak in Milton or similar,

Mira well worth for future use getting a proper hydration pack cleaning brush set, even with just water in them left over they can go mouldy.

I always rinse mine when finished with it then leave it all soaking in Milton for 24hrs then thoroughly dry it all before packing away. I stuff the actual bladder with dry kitchen towel when storing aswell which seems to help stop the smell etc (presumably as air can circulate)

I only use mine 2/3 times a year as I prefer large nalgenes now

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Well, I've given it a good clean.
I took it apart completely so I could clean the separate bits properly.
I put it in the sink with half dozen sterilisation tabs and left it to soak for half hour.
I do have a hydration pack cleaning kit, so gave it a good scrub with that.
It looks clean enough.
Just letting all the bits dry off in the boiler cupboard now.

Normally I use a bottle. But tomorrow I'm going to need to take a good couple of litres with me and it's easier to carry that amount of water in a flexible 2.5L bladder than a couple of rigid 1L bottles.
Worse comes to worse, though, and bottles it will be.
But it looks alright, so I'm happy.

Reactions: Allison McKenzie
Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
Normally I use a bottle. But tomorrow I'm going to need to take a good couple of litres with me and it's easier to carry that amount of water in a flexible 2.5L bladder than a couple of rigid 1L bottles.
Worse comes to worse, though, and bottles it will be.
But it looks alright, so I'm happy.
Taking bottles too is a good idea. My first bladder failed on the mountain, leaving me with a wet bum and having to share water with my clean freak man (I say his over cleaning weakened the bladder)

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Milton sterilisation fluid is the best way to go. If it was put away “dirty” at all and has any mould then do several good cleans with Milton before rinsing off and drying off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pieinthesky

Forager
Jun 29, 2014
Northants
When I used mine regularly I would just rinse it out thoroughly (occasionally using milton) and store it in the freezer.

This saves having to dry it out all the time which is not easy to do properly.

It was always nice and fresh and mold free but my sister in law (who is not too clever) thought it was an ice pack and used it on her bad back. Never saw it again after that !!

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE