Sand

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
English Heritage insist on a 1-6,50/50 sharp/soft blend for their restoration work, it gives the appearance of the the old mortar and keeps the trowels moderatley happy.
Not many companies produce spread with lime nowadays cause people wont pay the difference to a straight PC, traditionals and Dry silos mostly contain lime though.
3-1 or 4-1 Screed made with soft sand has too much bounce in it, once you've pulled the straight edge over it and start rubbing it up it keeps bouncing back so your levels will be all over the place, not so much a problem with carpet but a pain with thin vinyls, maximum 30% soft,70 sharp

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
weve been using sand that is pre mixed with lime for quite a few years now and its been around for quite a while only trouble is Its no good in the summer as it sort of sets prior to mixing with cemrnt to get a 6..1..1 mix and is really lumpy to use I think silo mortar is very good the mortars that come in like a carry mix lorry lets say a mortar with a 36 or 48 hour retarder they can be ok depend on the ammount of water added I prefer pit sand with mastercrete and feb if that makes any sence

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
The 'setting' of the traditional is just the water evaporating, you need to use it quicker John and stop having all the tea breaks, LOL
Pit sand, mastercrete and Feb yep makes sense to me but with the new european standards comming it your 1-3, 1-6, 1-1-6 etc will all go and the mortar will be specified by strength, that will be interesting to see how thats gauged

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
You are probbably right Steve must work faster must work harder and not have a tea break and use the sand sooner than later working up a sweat hear Boss

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE