Samsung plops out waterproof smartphone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I must say, that even looks like it plopped out, still has some residue! For real though, I would buy one if my provider gets them. My HTC is great but fragile and not water resistant.

Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
The new Samsung is coming with an IP67 rating , which means it has been tested as waterproof to 1m for 30 minutes, but where do people get the waterproof tag for the Motorola Defy? I've been looking around and can find nowhere that makes anything other than a water resistant claim, which is really just a meaningless phrase. I'm a seakayaker and canoeist so a waterproof phone is at the top of my wishlist, so if anyone can point me in the direction of a proper rating for the Defy I'll go out and buy one on Monday.

Thanks

Stuart.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I've got a waterproof samsung phone at the moment, it's damn near indestructable. I have faith that this new model will be the smartphone for me. I hope it runs a decent OS.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Looks good but the camera is a let down at 3mp and they are stingy with only a 2Gb sd card. At least its running Android.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yeah! It's running Gingerbread on an 800MHz processor!! Have fun with that one guys. IIRC They say Gingerbread needs a 1000mHz processor (1.0GHz) to run smoothly. I use one with a 1.2 dual core and it still freezes up (galaxy S2). I think I'd have preferred a better processor or a Froyo 2.2 OS on that processor but I'm a little fussy since I finally decided to satisfy my gadget fetishism with my Galaxy S2. Plus I'm on a 24 month contract for that baby so I'm stuffed for a bit now. Bad idea I know but it had only just come out the week before and I couldn't resist when my PAYG LG Viewty got smashed up the week before. Before you think it I did not smash my old phone so I could get a new one but I fell on it in my pocket (ripping my own flesh at the same time) and cracked the screen. I used it a bit longer but those touch screens are fragile with a crack in. You drop them and the crack just rips across the screen way too easily and then you can't use it at all.

I think the the IP67 rating is 1m static. What that means it can be put into a tank to 1 metre depth without the water moving. In reality if that sort of rating was used in watches it would hardly be counted as anything but splashdown so if you think it could get a sudden impact dunking then I would not trust it to be completely waterproof neither. It is really only a weather resistant level so you can use it in the rain but that is all. As a Kayaker myself I'd still use a GOOD watersports phone case. BTW I recently read the ortlieb catalogue and they described their IP67 rated rucksack as only good for occasional dunkings. Basically I read it as waterproof strapped to a canoe riding rapids but if you come out and it floats a bit in the water it will leak. They also use it on some of their lighter rated "drybags". It is like the Exped drybags are not waterproof if they are dunked in a river while canoeing. They are "waterproof" in your sack when protected by your sack to a large degree though.

Sorry for being negative on what is still a good outdoors use phone. I would say it will be a good one despite the limitations I described. Android is still the best phone OS IMHO and there is talk of them merging their tabs OS with their phone OS in the next gen coming up which supposedly will be good too. Think it's codename is Icecream but could be wrong on that.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
BTW the S2 has a great little 8MP camera on it. Video at 1080P too. I have now stopped taking a separate camera with me. 3MP is not really a camera worth having except for emergencies. My previous BB had a 3.2 and it only really got used for work.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
" I'd still use a GOOD watersports phone case"

Good idea taking into account the amount of bushcrafters who seemingly drop their phones everytime they cross a stream or deep puddle. ;)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I keep my phone in an aquapac waterproof bag when it's likely to get wet. Who needs a special phone?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE