Salty Kuksa?????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi,
I've got a couple of small Kuksas (for imbibing sloe gin etc) but unfortunately they impart a slight salty taste. Does anyone out there in BCUK land know if the Finns use salt to cure their Kuksas & if so how to get rid of the salty taste, you need to drink at least four measures at the moment before you stop tasting salt in the last mouthful!
Thanks,

Martin
:D :D :D :D

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I didn't actually know what a kuksa was (now I do!) and googled firstly for kuksa then for
kuksa salt and it seems that the bit of wood from which the kuksa is made might be
soaked in salt water for a period of time before carving. Then again I've no way of knowing
if the websearches I brought up were any good as I don't know anything about the topic.

It sounds like extensive rinsing is called for... ?

p.s. kuksas are gorgeous and I'm glad they have their own word rather than 'little wooden
mug' :)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
IIRC boiling in a strong brine is used to help drive out moisture (or something), I tried it with one I made and the taste goes over time.

Harmony

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2008
Spokane, Washington USA
I think this kuksa information explains your salt taste.

"The Kuksa is a special drinking cup of hunters and Laplanders in Finland. The kuksa is a hand carved drinking cup made from birch burl. Laplanders have a personal Kuksa that stays with them throughout their lifetime and has been used by Laplanders for as long as anyone can remember. They use it for everything they drink; coffee, tea, vodka and water from the stream. The cup will not hold any flavors from previous drinks

Kuksas are made of carefully selected arctic birch burl and uniquely treated with salt and/ or coffee. This makes them durable and long lasting while light enough to carry in a backpack or on a belt. The Kuksa is made from renewable materials and so it is a true nature product.

A Kuksa is more than a drinking cup, it's a lifelong companion. Kuksa do not require any special care. A quick rinse after use is all that it needs."

Harmony

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
The video explains teh salty taste. The boiling of the wood in salt water drives out moisture to speed up the seasoning process as far as I know. dirft wood on a beach is usually very dry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE