Salt Island cleanup ( Pic Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
spot on Andy :) thank goodness for folks like you !

i spend a fair bit of time at the Killyleagh Outdoor Education Centre at the moment, for work, lovely part of the world, always wondered what the fishing is like down there, any idea ?

regards

Robbi

AndyE

Feb 9, 2011
Ireland
Hi

20 odd years ago the fishing was fantastic inside the Lough. but the commercials destroyed the sea bed leaving it like a lunar landscape , Dredge netting in fact any form of netting is now banned inside the Lough but I don't think it'll ever recover

The only species that seem to thrive in the Lough are sea trout and mullet . you need a game license to fish for Sea trout and the season runs from 1st March - 31st October

Groups like the Dibney river trust are doing stirling work on the conservation end of things , thats the Dibney river that runs out to sea @ Killyleagh

Of course the only proper way to catch a sea trout is to fly fish for them however spinning with Abu Krills or any small sandeel pattern will catch them . Sandeel or mackerel belly strip fished on a bubble float or dead drifted in rips also works
As for fishing marks ... I'm signed up to the official secrets act ..sorry :D

Andy

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
LOL !

thanks for that, i do a lot of flyfishing at Newtownards and Holywood anyway and have all the required license etc :) I've also been flyfishing off the rocks for the Pollack with no success recently :(

Some years ago i did a lot with the research centre at Portaferry with QUB, they are doing some great stuff to get the lough back to tip top condition, there is even a plan afoot to have the strangford lough listed as the largest trout fishery in Europe with the breeding tanks and research based in Tullymore forest, a really interesting project.

AndyE

Feb 9, 2011
Ireland
Hollywood and Ards ?.. you know too much already

I was tying at the Killyleagh show this year and the word was that ADSEE had lost its funding ?

Andy

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
Wow you did a great thing there by going out of your way to compensate for the selfish and foolish actions of others, positive karma indeed for you! It looks as though you did a great job rebuilding those walls, and the resin idea was great, what a way to use your head. Well done. :)

AndyE

Feb 9, 2011
Ireland
You should show this thread to the powers that be to prove folk like yourself do take care of places like this and that they should remain open for this reason, well done

I emailed the National trust and sent them a link to the post .

Long story .. but as a result of that work I'm now a volunteer canoe ranger for CAAN , as far as i can gather its just about keeping an eye on the canoe trail and completing two audits a year
Got a rather nice Berghaus gilet, a 15 % discount card for TISO's and I believe the fast patrol boat and Hk MP5SD are in the post :D

The National Trust have organised a clean up day on the 15th of this month for anyone interested in helping out

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE