Safety Razors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
can you post a picture of what we are looking for oldtimer,

i was wondering if just me that enjoys shaving.
learnt the straight razor or do you lot prefere cut throat, because in the middle east it was hard to find disposible razors at times and out in some areas the manly barber is still king.

i was always told about the blind man shave, did anyone every try him?, i just thought it was an urban myth.

the straight razor was alwful to get to grips with not a single time in the first month without plasters or toilet papet holding some thing back on. ha ha

its true what they say though a good hand with a straight razor does leave the cleanest finish i have ever felt, i think its time i should go and buy a propper safety razor and straight razor again,

as for the soaps, i have never brought an aerosol one in 20 years i only ever use gillete soap in the blue tubs or when i feel flush something from the simpsons website.

If no one else uses it i would suggest a look and laugh on the chap website, for alternative mens affairs

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Had my first proper shave this morning after nearly 40 years of using disposable and cartridge razors

Must say I can tell the difference even though it is obviously a skill to learn but not as difficult as I thought it would be having wet shaved all my life.

And yes I did manage to nick my face but I did not even know I had done it until my son told me

Looking forward to shaving again

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
And yes I did manage to nick my face but I did not even know I had done it until my son told me

What blades are you using? All blades are not equal and some tear up your face more than others. You have to find a blade that suits your skin and your shaving style. Cuts happen less as your technique improves, but the blade type is a lot more significant than with disposableshttp://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk...Razor-Blades?gclid=CN-z8_Dpwa0CFWIntAod92Dc_Q. Feather blades are supposed to be the sharpest and the most aggressive, they'll give you the closest shave but also the most likely to cut you. I was advised to try Derby blades to start as they are thought to be quite forgiving, which I found to be true and I stuck with them.

Also, getting your lather right is very important, getting the right amount of cushion and slip makes a big difference.

This guy does a great series of videos that I found very helpful....

[video=youtube;6mWfYzNqbmo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mWfYzNqbmo&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;Dd7Aj9vwrtc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7Aj9vwrtc[/video]

Last edited:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I know what one is, by some clever cammed device, they are supposed to self sharpen each time you remove the razor from the box. They worked after a fashion, but as DE blades are so cheap, there value is just as a curio these days. Does yours work?

yungmannfuzz

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2011
NI
I started off using Derby blades, but my uncle gave me some feathers... I think I will make the change. Haven't cut myself yet with them.. That being said I have been using a DE for over a year, so maybe its the practice..

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I don't suppose any of you traditional shavers happen to know anything about the Rolls Razor? I inherited some a couple of years ago, but I don't use them.

Alan

I like the Rolls. As Martyn said you hone and strop them in the case but that's more of a maintenance thing. If the blades are past it they need taking out and honing by hand on stones for a fresh lease of life then can be maintained again with the Rolls. They're not worth a lot but they're certainly a cool retro piece of history in my opinion. Lots have broken hones so if they're in good shape hang onto them as they can only go up in value. If I had a spare I'd take the hone out to use as a barber's hone with my straights but I only have the one. It'll stay intact as it's complete with a reciept from Harrods in 1937.

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
I know what one is, by some clever cammed device, they are supposed to self sharpen each time you remove the razor from the box. They worked after a fashion, but as DE blades are so cheap, there value is just as a curio these days. Does yours work?

Hi, Martyn

Ihaven't got a clue if they work, but I inherited four of them, all in their original boxes. I haven't actually looked at them, just put them in a cupboard with some other stuff that came the same way.

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE