Safe Meths burner use and other tips

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I just received a Tatonka Meths burner and simmer ring and as I am new to meths burning for cooking, I am looking for advice and tips for safe and successful use of this burner.

I also have a honey stove and hive upgrade kit to try out with the burner soon.

After a quick search on google I came accross this which brings up some points that may not necesarily be obvious:
http://www.swindon.gov.uk/trangia_-_advice_on_use_of_meths.pdf

Thanks,

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The only thing to watch with meths is sometimes it can be hard to tell if it's lit or not just by looking at it. Same rules apply as for other fuels though, such as don't spill it or knock over, store in a suitable container and don't pick the stove up when it's still hot.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
And dont set it where the dog can run past, knocking it over and causing a small fire... not that thats happened to me mind.

*cough*

TBL.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I've got a Highlander meths burner which leaks when i transport it if i have meths in it. The simmer ring is a bit pants aswell. If you need to transport it with meths in, i'd put it in a margarine tub

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The big one for meths stoves is not to refill while the stove's still hot. I don't care if your brew is only a few seconds from boiling when your stove goes out - let it cool before you refill it. Otherwise the fuel will evaporate as you pour it into the hot stove, forming a lovely explosive cloud of vapour just waiting for you to relight the stove... To quote Adam Savage: "Am I missing an eyebrow?" ;)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Its quite funny, reading the warnings about Meths on that pdf. Yes, of course it can be dangerous if misused, but so can pretty much anything - and they make it sound like Uranium-235!

Reality is that - because it's not under pressure - it's a very safe cooking medium compared to gas, petrol or pressurised paraffin stoves. Take basic precautions, and they're fine.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I like to keep the fuel warm by storing it my pocket in a suitable container. I use the plastic flask which comes with the Swedish army set, and I find that ideal because its flatish shape sits well in the pocket. I've seen others complain that the flasks leak, but I've got two and have never had a problem. On really cold days I keep the burner in my pocket as well, and fill it when I need to. That way the meths lights straight away with a stroke from the firesteel.

I use the Tatonka too by the way, and find it a very good bit of kit.

Last edited:

forestwalker

The army manuals stated "take it out with your bare hand and refill at leat 1 m from the stove". I, in daily use, modify this to "put your hand on top of the burner, if it isn't cool enought to touch comfortably (i.e. less than 70 C in my case) it is too hot to refill". Another important/fun thing to remember also is that at around -18 C the vapour pressure of EtOH is ideal for producing an explosive mix with air. Which means that the half-empty bottle in your backpack is sometimes *more* dangerous than the one in your pocket (i.e. it will blow up, not burn, if ignited).

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
if you think Meths is dangerous? try pressurised Petrol! lol

2 thing I'd say about Meths (Trangia types stoves).
1) on 2 separate occasions I've seen a: flare/fire ball, 1ft in diameter come from my "Mini Trangia":yikes::yikes:
(shop bought and not modified).
never found out what caused it,
It wasn't raining,
no wind,
burner was used in the open,
correct fuel,
burner wasn't dirty,
I was next to it the whole time, so there was no foul play!
...who knows? :confused:
somehow pressure built up or something (perhaps a drip of water from a tree?) got into the burner.

2) once the screw lid got stuck fast, since found out from corrosion, but no one tells you these things.

Trangia's are famous for being safe, easy, and not flaring...well mine isn't! :p

Don't use a Trangia inside a tent!

I use a Meths pepsi stove((i made), constantly never had a problem, and an MSR petrol stove again no problems!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE