Safe drinking water in Scotland?

billymitchell90

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Scotland, Dundee
Alot of people I speak to are under the impression that any flowing water in Scotland is safe to drink but I don't believe that. What kinda water is safest to drink? can you drink water from a lake if you filter/boil/purify it??

Any tips or advice on this would be much appreciated as every other post has been.

Thanks

Billy

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Well. given that there is only one lake in Scotland, it should'nt be difficult to find out how good the water there is ;)

For a real answer though, common sense is your best ally. I would'nt drink from the Forth or the Clyde but have drunk from countless mountain burns and managed to get to 46 without lurgey

billymitchell90

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Scotland, Dundee
Haha ya ken what I mean, lochs, rivers etc. Yeah I wouldn't drink out of the tay myself. Say for example I take some water from Loch Fiskally and boil it, and use a purification tablet will it be ok to drink and cook with?

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Mountain burns without houses upstream are almost always safe.

Be aware that the spring dieoff can mean there are dead deer in the watercourses - the Highlands has far too many red deer. A good briskly flowing mountain burn tumbling falling and splashing oxidises the hell out any micro organisms and has a powerful sterilising effect.

Using a quality activated charcoal microbial water filter you can drink just about anything. Freshwater lochs tend to be pretty clean and the higher the altitude and the more remote they are, the cleaner they'll be. Lower altitude lochs are more likely to be contaminated with agrichemicals and effluent particularly if their watersheds drain inhabited or agricultural land.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well. given that there is only one lake in Scotland, it should'nt be difficult to find out how good the water there is ;)

For a real answer though, common sense is your best ally. I would'nt drink from the Forth or the Clyde but have drunk from countless mountain burns and managed to get to 46 without lurgey

A Furryboot City mans got to 46 and no learned no tae wind up a Clootie city man wi-out the fear oh gettin' his pus skelpped?

Aye it's all about location as to wether I'd drink from it, most fast flowing wee burns I'm happy with. Do have a filter for loch water though boiling it's also good. (Don't forget the Cremola Foam in case the water tastes p***!)

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
A Furryboot City mans got to 46 and no learned no tae wind up a Clootie city man wi-out the fear oh gettin' his pus skelpped?

Shire over city, mannie! And as for fear of a Dundonian reaching as far up as "ma puss" - having spent 5 years in Dundee at university, either the average height has increased or they all now carry step ladders! Still have lots of good memories of the pubs there and working the door at Fatties though ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE