safe axe use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
I found this video on youtube apologies if it has been posted before as it is from 2009.

For those who don't click on random videos it shows a couple of chaps splitting wood quickly but dangerously.

The only thing I liked about the video was the interesting looking axe

[video=youtube;37gH9SObKVA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37gH9SObKVA&feature=re lated[/video]

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Not sure it was so dangerous, nice wide stance and most of the axe blows were traveling in a line that would have carried through to miss the axe side leg or sufficiently far over the block that that would have formed a stop. I would have preferred the holding hand was a bit further away but the second chap particularly was completely accurate with the swing and no way he was going near the holding hand, also see how he moves the thumb out of the way as the block gets smaller? Is it Eastern Europe? Hungary? Nice straight grained wood is easy peasy to split.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah I'm with Robin; the onl thing close to unsafe I saw was the hand position. As to their swings and mechanics, that was pretty much standard here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE