saddlers rivets and drilling leather

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
ok couple of questions,
i vaguely remember reading somewhere that the holes for the rivets have to be bigger than the rivets shaft. is this right? how much bigger?

how far apart should i put the rivets?

can you drill leather? i don't really want to spend money on a punch as im only going to use it a few times.

any other tips?
im making an axe sheath btw

many thanks:)
pete

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
can't give any advice on rivet hole size - would presume that a snug fit would be fine - is what I would do! :rolleyes:

as to drilling leather - of course - not a problem. Drill fast and you get a clean and burnished hole;)

other tips - don't forget a welt - is the only real way to ensure the blade edge is safe

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
other tips - don't forget a welt - is the only real way to ensure the blade edge is safe

im making a sheath like the one in mors kochanski's book, welted and lined with tin neer the blade. super safe:D

the shafts are a smidge over 3mm so im sure some 3.5mm drills will do

thanks again
pete

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
I'm doing AXE cover when I pluck up courage - got the materials - whats a welt?

I was going to use studs along front to protect it.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well, I wouldn't normally drill leather, as it usually scorches the hide making it brittle and when done for stitch holes, it looks absolutely terrible:(

HOWEVER!

In this case; I agree with g4ghb, that you could indeed,drill the holes for the rivets, I'd make the holes the same diameter as the rivets, though that's just my own method, others may be different.:pokenest:
I would also glue the welt ( probably obvious:eek:)

for the edge of an axe mask; I'd put one on each corner then two or possibly three, equally spaced between?

Ideally; use solid copper rivets and washers;)

hope this helps

atb

R.B.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I drilled these guys rather than try and punch through 3 layers;

DSCF1736.jpg

more info here, hope it helps

Cheers,

Alan

leon-1

Drilling holes removes leather, over time, with wear and water those holes actually get larger reducing the friction that the rivet provides (this is the same with stitching as well). If you drill a hole, do so that the stem of the rivet is a tight fit.

86inch

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2008
Lincolnshire
Drilling holes removes leather, over time, with wear and water those holes actually get larger reducing the friction that the rivet provides (this is the same with stitching as well). If you drill a hole, do so that the stem of the rivet is a tight fit.

Good advice, I use a punched 3.5mm hole for a 4.4mm 6 gauge rivet. A good interference fit.
The rivets actually hold via compression, so the hole isn't as critical as you think. You'll only get wear in the hole if the components are allowed to rotate - which they shouldn't do if the rivets are properly set.

Inusuit

Dec 30, 2009
Wyoming, USA
Welt would be a piece of leather between the two sides of the sheath, next to the edge of the blade. The idea is the sharp edge of the tool rests against this piece of leather instead of contacting the rivets.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE